• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I am a member of a few other forums, and when I get PM's the email notification will show me what the actual PM is, which is pretty cool when you are getting emails on a BlackBerry. On here, it does not show the Private message within the email.

Is there anyway to change this in the UserCP so that the message shows up in the email, or is this something that the Admin would have to look at possibly changing?

Thanks!

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Not sure if it can be user-controlled or not. I'll point Scutter in the direction of this post so he can answer that part more definitively since he knows more about the vBulletin features than I do.

However, we did *used* to have the whole PM show in the email notification, but so many people were replying directly to the emails (which come from INGO, not the sending user's email, and which clearly stated "DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL") instead of logging in and replying to the PM, that the server was getting clogged up with all these replies that were just going to a junkbox rather than actually replying to the original user. (follow that?)

Short answer: unlikely to change this.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    But there's no reason you couldn't configure IMAP/POP3 settings on-server not to accept incoming mail, surely? Then it wouldn't be a waste of bandwidth when users inevitably tried to respond from their respective inboxes...

???

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Not sure if it can be user-controlled or not. I'll point Scutter in the direction of this post so he can answer that part more definitively since he knows more about the vBulletin features than I do.

However, we did *used* to have the whole PM show in the email notification, but so many people were replying directly to the emails (which come from INGO, not the sending user's email, and which clearly stated "DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL") instead of logging in and replying to the PM, that the server was getting clogged up with all these replies that were just going to a junkbox rather than actually replying to the original user. (follow that?)

Short answer: unlikely to change this.

I gotcha, makes sense, but sure would be cool to change back. :)

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    But there's no reason you couldn't configure IMAP/POP3 settings on-server not to accept incoming mail, surely? Then it wouldn't be a waste of bandwidth when users inevitably tried to respond from their respective inboxes...

???

That may be true, but then the sender doesn't know that the end user didn't receive the mail. It is just simpler to have it the way it is.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Dang it! This is exactly how I want it, I just would think its common sense not to respond to an email to INGO. Especially if the emails said "DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL NO ONE WILL RECEIVE IT"

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I wonder how stong our (crackberry) numbers are?!? Maybe we can overthrow the current admin with a cyber muntiny!

mutiny-shirt.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Dang it! This is exactly how I want it, I just would think its common sense not to respond to an email to INGO. Especially if the emails said "DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL NO ONE WILL RECEIVE IT"

You would think so, wouldn't you? And yet, prior experience has proven that line of reasoning to be incorrect.

Top Bottom