• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Took my pm9 out for its first day at the range with me. I've loaded up the six round mag for my pm9 and as i slide it into the mag well and make sure its seated with the heel of my hand...boing! The magazine comes apart.
    Well after a few minutes of looking we find the spring. And i put the magazine together, I am at this point a little dissapointed but figure that when i was pushing on the bottom of the mag my hand must have depressed the little button on part#37 of the magazine and then slid the base plate foward at the same time, dissasembling the magazine.
    http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9.asp

Then i was goofing with it to see how easy it was to make that happen, and well, it wasnt very hard. But, the second time, i actually couldnt find piece #37. So i lost it and now i need to contact kahr.

Ive seen that many people replace the baseplate on their pm9 magazines. Do you think that would help remedy the problem once i get the part to fix my magazine?

Thanks for any answers,

Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Kahr wins the award for the most cheaply built magazines for a $600+ MSRP pistol award (if such an award existed). Maybe it is the physics of the design of the pistol, but the mags are very thin. Just loading them causes the tabs at the top to flex, and it took a while for me to get over the feeling that I was going to break them off. After Taking my PM9 to the range a few times I decided to purchase some pierce extensions (pinky extension only version model # PG-MK9). They feel good in hand, but the dimples on the base plate retainers ("#37") should be more pronounced than they are, and I can slide them off with minimal force. I have carried the pistol with the grip extension installed for a while now. They seem to stay in place well enough when the mags are loaded, but I can feel it slide back ever so slightly when I grip the pistol to draw it from its holster when I clean it or blow the lint off of it. While I have not experienced the same issue as you, I had an issue with the factory 7 round magazine. The last round loaded in to the 7 rounder would set at an odd, high angle that, when shot, would catch the tip of the bullet on the steep edge of the feed ramp to the point that I had to push the mag out through the ejection port because it was wedged tight. I eventually bought a second 6 rounder and now I have 2 functional magazines.

I like the base plate extensions that I bought. They extend past the bottom of the base plate and somewhat prevent the user from contacting the dimple on the retainer if pressed in with the palm of the hand. The extension is also 2-3 times the thickness of the original base plate so the dimple is recessed in the whole further than the original preventing accidental depression. I certainly don't think that you would be any worse off with them. The base plate extensions are fairly inexpensive. I bought mine on Ebay for 12.99 with free shipping. I also recommend the Hogue Hadall Jr. grip. It adds a slight bulge to the grip and makes for an exceptional purchase in hand. It also prevents the texture on the grip from digging into fingers while firing because of the death grip needed to prevent the little thing from flipping out of one's hands. It is quite a pain to install though, because it has to be stretched over the grip.

I hope I helped.

Krainw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I'd contact Kahr. My husband had an issue with a second hand magazine, he called them and they sent him a new one. Their customer service was great. Call them up see what they say. :)

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'd contact Kahr. My husband had an issue with a second hand magazine, he called them and they sent him a new one. Their customer service was great. Call them up see what they say. :)

^This. Give them a call and give them a chance to fix it. They should take care of you.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And folks will balk at why it's a good idea to carry a spare mag (or two) along with a pistol... (not aimed at you, OP, just an opportunity for a semi-real life example of things breaking)

-J-

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    And folks will balk at why it's a good idea to carry a spare mag (or two) along with a pistol... (not aimed at you, OP, just an opportunity for a semi-real life example of things breaking)

-J-

^^^^This. Kahr has crappy magazines, and its not the first time this has happened. The failures are well documented. Be prepared with a spare, always, for any gun you carry.

Top Bottom