• ...and so much more!
  • 2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    Anyone pocket carry without a holster?

I'm just wondering if anyone thinks it's safe as long as you don't have a round chambered, or your gun is double action only.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

I'm just wondering if anyone thinks it's safe as long as you don't have a round chambered, or your gun is double action only.

Well, if you don't have a round chambered, then you are adding time to your reaction to a bad situation, by having to rack the slide.

If you have a round chambered, and it is DAO, even with the heavy trigger pull, there is still a potential for a negligent discharge.

Personally, I would recommend a pocket holster that covers the trigger,
    ElPasopocketholster.jpg

or a trigger guard on a lanyard like the Vanguard..
    Raven Concealment Systems

picture.php

As inexpensive as either option is, I see no reason to take the chance...

Hit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    I personally would always use a pocket holster ... for three main reasons:

1. Safety - keeps the trigger shielded (especially if I put my hand in to get the gun ... I don't want to hit the safety and/or trigger while fumbling for it ... see #3 as well)

2. Cleanliness - keeps pocket lint out of the pistol

3. Orientation - a good pocket holster should keep the gun in the correct orientation for quick and safe access

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto

I always want to be able to pee like a man can and not have to squat like a woman so I would use a holster.

The idea of shooting of my boys or my main vein scares the dickens out of me!

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I personally would always use a pocket holster ... for three main reasons:

1. Safety - keeps the trigger shielded (especially if I put my hand in to get the gun ... I don't want to hit the safety and/or trigger while fumbling for it ... see #3 as well)

2. Cleanliness - keeps pocket lint out of the pistol

3. Orientation - a good pocket holster should keep the gun in the correct orientation for quick and safe access
    I'd add to this comfort and accessibility.

Side note, I inherited an old .22 pocket pistol that my wife's grandfather carried in his pocket. Upon inspection and cleaning, it had so much lint in it that I don't think it would have fired.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It depends on a few things:

Most importantly, it depends on the firearm.

Let's say that you have a small revolver that's got a 15lb trigger pull... No problem pocket carrying without a pocket holster from a gun-discharge point of view.

Switch the gun to a single action colt Mustang .380 and you want to carry "cocked and locked", then not having a pocket holster would be rather stupid.

The above reasons for having a pocket holster are good advice.

I'll add one more: To protect your pocket from your firearm.

revolver barrels will take advantage of weak spots in pocket material and greatly enhance fabric wear, create holes, and cause problems.

Uncle Mike's pocket holsters are entirely serviceable, inexpensive, and found just about everywhere firearms and/or ammo is sold. (There are better holsters out there, but nothing wrong at all with a UM)

-J-

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Thought I should give credit where credit is due..

The Vanguard was invented by one of INGO's own, Shay from Mindset Laboratories.

dholmtime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pocket holsters make it so much smoother to draw from the pocket, keeps your gun cleaner, it makes it look more like a cell phone or wallet in your pocket, and also why risk shooting yourself in the leg to save the $20 for a pocket holster??

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I don't take any chances with blowing the boys off.

Pocket holster all the way. I've got a kydex one for my P-3AT.

I suppose the unchambered round option is "safe" in that there's no way the gun could fire. However, the other side to having it in your pocket is the potential of having lint buildup gum up the action, trash inadvertantly stuck in your pocket interfere with it, or those bugger threads twisting around the trigger and making it darned impossible to yank out when needed. When the adrenaline is pumping isn't a time to be yanking on your trousers to pull a firearm out.

hick185

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    +1 for what everyone has said. But what good is the trigger guard that Roadie posted. I thought a good pocket holster would grip your pocket and stay there while you drew the pistol. how do you get the trigger guard off? i guess thats what the string is for, but where are you supposed to tie it:D?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    +1 for what everyone has said. But what good is the trigger guard that Roadie posted. I thought a good pocket holster would grip your pocket and stay there while you drew the pistol. how do you get the trigger guard off? i guess thats what the string is for, but where are you supposed to tie it:D?

I would assume to a belt loop or the belt itself.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I sometimes carry my 642 in the front pocket of my jeans without a holster just because the DeSantis is a little tight in the pocket. If I have on pants with a larger front pocket I have it in the holster. Not very concerned with it going off accidently since it is a long double action trigger and nothing else goes in the pocket besides my airweight.

I shoot and or inspect the gun enough that I don't worry about pocket lint.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    No round chambered...BAD IDEA

Lint and other crap getting into action of gun...BAD IDEA

Carry in pocket without holster...BAD IDEA

So I would say, you guessed it....BAD IDEA!

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    I used to carry my 21A in my left back pocket as a backup. It's a DA, so I wasn't too worried about an AD, but I can't say I considered it impossible. I ended up picking up a pocket holster for it from Stoner Holsters at the 1500 (Great holsters BTW, I have 2 from him). Two additional benefits of using a holster were A) instead of printing a pistol in my back pocket, it looks more like a wallet now, and B) the 21A had a bad habit of popping the mag when I sat down. The holster cured that.

Top Bottom