• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjones

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    McCordsville
    i have a friend that swears his grandma and aunt take a poison ivy leaf roll it inside out and eat it...... he says if you do that you wont get poison it I told him to go first

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Never had poison ivy in my life. I can pick the stuff like a weed and not itch a bit. It's probably the one allergy in the world I DON'T have.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have NEVER had a breakout from Poison Ivy and I'm 50. Have been an avid hiker for years and have come into contact with it dozens of times. My two daughters are the same way, it must be hereditary.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    When I was younger I would get it so bad the Doc would put me on steroids, now I can pull the vines out of the bushes and nothin at all.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    A couple of years ago, my wife got a real bad dose of poison ivy, and had to go to a dermatologist. After getting two allergy shots in her butt, he also prescribed her an ointment call Vanos. If you don't have insurance, you may not want to get it, and ask the doc for lots of samples, but the stuff works awesome. I know when we filled the script, the insurance portion was close to $300, so strap a set on if you have to buy it out of pocket.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Your best defense against poison Ivy is to avoid contact of course. But if you KNOW youve been exsposed, the best thing to do is as soon as possible get home, remove clothing and wash the clothes. Then get in the shower, and take a Hot soapy shower. Repeat at least three times. MY wife is very sensitive to poisin ivy, and since we started doing this when we realize we've been in contact with the stuff, our cases are very mild to nonexistant depending how quickly we can get in the shower. Remember it's the oil from the plant that causes the alergic reaction. And plain soap like Ivory works the best, but what ever you have will get the job done. Just get really soaped up and scrub the stuff off. You'll be ammazed at the results! :ingo:

infebious

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    this is not a PSA without Pictures

Poison Ivy in Summer

Poison ivy has three leaves and grows from the ground or vine.

poison_ivy.jpg

There are non itchy lookalikes, but a safe rule of thumb is "leaves of three, leave it be"

poisonivy8-11b.jpg

I get a horrible rash and need a cortisone shot from the Dr. most times.

My-Ivy-RashJLesterFNL.jpg

There is one product that helps me the most:

417NEh9xuvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I shiver at the thought of it in my eyes.

Side note: if you get it, take a bath in TIDE (powdered kind). It will dry it right up.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    As a kid I got some in one eye when we were buring some wood. Went to bed with an itchy eye and woke up with and eye i could not even pull open to see the eyeball. Made a trip to the hospital and got steroids for it.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    My Dad and Uncle were raised through their teen years in Oakland City. They had a summer job picking cherry trees in a local orchard. Dad said my uncle ate as much as he picked and by early afternoon had a case of the screaming meemies. He walked off behind a tree and loosed a stool stream and grabbed a handle full of foliage to wipe his tuckous. Yep! It was mostly Poison Ivy. His butt got swollen as did the boys. He's 82 now with dementia and still cringes if you bring it up.

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    HA! as many a grandpa proved, you can lose most of your mind but a kick to the nuts or a wicked ass rash will stay with ya to the grave

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    If you get it on you and know it, quickly rub jewel weed on the area.

Jewel weed grows usally close to poison ivy and has little orange or yellow flowers.

Grab the leaves and rub them on the area briskly.

Jewel weed juice/sap immediately neutralizes the ivy oils.

Learned this from a fishing friend years and years ago.

Also helps on that darn stinging nettle too.

birdslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Walkerton
    Most people forget there dogs will carry it back home as well.. Ive gotten it as well doing tailgate checks on the dogs for ticks, cuts, burrs etc. came home with a bad case on my mitts... not pleasant at all. Changed my technique no more poision ivy..

Top Bottom