• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I met a guy who is retired Navy MP after 21 years service. I was talking to him and he said he would like to have been a cop but he is too old. I think he is 41. This guy has some of the highest security clearances in the world....and worked at a classified building in Spain then Germany.

I can't understand why this age limit applies to those who have served in the military. I think there should be a grandfather clause for them guys. I am sure a Navy veteran of 21 years as an MP would have to have a little more knowledge then a 25 year old kid who has been in college 7 years....and I am sure they are much more fit then some of the younger guys. Why do they put such a young age limit on PD?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I met a guy who is retired Navy MP after 21 years service. I was talking to him and he said he would like to have been a cop but he is too old. I think he is 41. This guy has some of the highest security clearances in the world....and worked at a classified building in Spain then Germany.

I can't understand why this age limit applies to those who have served in the military. I think there should be a grandfather clause for them guys. I am sure a Navy veteran of 21 years as an MP would have to have a little more knowledge then a 25 year old kid who has been in college 7 years....and I am sure they are much more fit then some of the younger guys. Why do they put such a young age limit on PD?

It's not everywhere that does that, other states are much more open than Indiana to experience and maturity.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Tell him to apply for a Sheriffs Dept, they usually have no age limit. When I was at the academy I believe the oldest recruit in my class was 45, he was from a Indiana Sheriff's dept but I cant remember which one.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    As far as municipalities and age with LEO jobs Indiana is stupid and vary between even some state agencies.. With the municipal retirement they require you to be in the door before age 36. Almost as bad as the age 37 cut of most Federal agencies. At least with most Federal agencies you can get a waiver for Military service. Indiana Sheriffs have a totally different retirement system so there is no age cut off. Indiana state Police upped tier cut off to age 40 several years ago Indiana Conservation Officers do not have an age limit.

Out west and in the south there generally is no age limit and the pay and retirement is much much better so unless someone has a reason to stay/be here and they wish for a LE career in their early 40's I would recommend checking out departments out west.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Thanks for info guys. This guy seems like he would make someone a good employee......I kind of felt bad for him after serving our country now he has to take a job he isn't even trained in just to keep working......there has to be a way to utilize the gained knowledge of these people.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why do they put such a young age limit on PD?

Actuarial charts would be my guess. With PERF, you can retire at 20 years of service but you can't start drawing until you are 52. Hire someone who's 25, and you're going to get 7 more years of him paying into the pension fund before he's able to draw vs hiring someone who's 32, who can retire and draw the day he hits 20. Whoever counted the beans decided the cut off date based on how long they expect you to work and then to live in retirement.

Many non-PERF departments, or other states, do not have age limits. Louisville Metro does not, for example.

Top Bottom