• Total voters

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    :yesway:

If someone has spent any time in a real police state, you won't be confused that the US is one of them.

Am I happy with the path we are on... NO! Do I think we have lost some rights and freedoms ... YES! Is this Syria... come on.

But I don't think there can be any denying we ARE on the road towards that sort of outcome. With every person that accepts more and more gov't intrusion, or as they like to couch it "security measures", or folks who believe that gov't has the right to "encourage" healthy lifestyles by taxing foods (that we already subsidize, wtf?) deemed unhealthy, more liberty is trampled. Having read a few of your posts, I think you're mostly sympatico with this train of thought. I don't think anyone is claiming the US is a totalitarian state right now. The issue is that we see ambivalence to tyrannical overtures by the populace as a whole, so long as they are kept pacified with the idea of security, and that they can buy their way to happiness (just so long as the police can check their bags on the way out of the store, to check for "contraband"), and it frightens some folks. I can tell you that I personally am uncomfortable with the idea that I am being asked repeatedly to trust the authorities more and more, without an explanation. Madison must be clawing at the inside of his tomb to get out and smack us all upside the heads.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I know some of you are too young to really remember the old Soviet bloc. I can guarantee that we would not be talking like this on a public forum. Heck we wouldn't talk like this at all except with a few trusted friends in our own locked apartment after we drank too much. Even then we would kick ourselves in the morning, because even trusted friends aren't quite as trusted without the vodka. We don't live like that. People don't disappear on a regular basis if they need reeducation.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    mister-taco.jpg

ThatsRacist.gif

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I know some of you are too young to really remember the old Soviet bloc. I can guarantee that we would not be talking like this on a public forum. Heck we wouldn't talk like this at all except with a few trusted friends in our own locked apartment after we drank too much. Even then we would kick ourselves in the morning, because even trusted friends aren't quite as trusted without the vodka. We don't live like that. People don't disappear on a regular basis if they need reeducation.

then we would be talking about more than a ballot box then wouldnt we?!
    I would rather be dead than free, and I wont just curl up in a ball like others would.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

I know what you are saying. No we are not a full-blown, "hard" tyranny yet.

But the dominoes are definitely setting up for one.

Regarding disappearances. They don't happen on a regular basis. But they happen.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, during a demonstration against the G20:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W2Dqchuspk[/ame]

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    But I don't think there can be any denying we ARE on the road towards that sort of outcome.

I don't think anyone is claiming the US is a totalitarian state right now. The issue is that we see ambivalence to tyrannical overtures by the populace as a whole, so long as they are kept pacified with the idea of security, and that they can buy their way to happiness (just so long as the police can check their bags on the way out of the store, to check for "contraband"), and it frightens some folks.

This is how I see it as well. Right now, we are analogous to Weimar Republic, Germany, (1919-1933). We are exhausted from war, our currency is being devalued, and the people are perfectly fine having their lives dictated by the government. The Feds will be happy to oblige.

All these external enemies are being drummed up to make the American people become security-crazed. This makes it simpler than ever to take our freedom away. Just keep blaming some other culture or race for all the world's problems, and in the meanwhile pass a bunch of rights-stomping laws that cause more damage than any external enemy could do.

Whatever president comes along with some big talk about keeping us safe -- Look out. Hide your rights, hide your freedoms, cuz everybody's liberties are getting raped up in here.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    :yesway:

If someone has spent any time in a real police state, you won't be confused that the US is one of them.

Am I happy with the path we are on... NO! Do I think we have lost some rights and freedoms ... YES! Is this Syria... come on.

I believe that these sentiments, above, come close to my own. I also believe that Winston Churchill viewed governance by democracy in correctly relativistic terms.

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried."

Though this final quote by Churchill is intended as slightly humorous, it still epitomizes something fundamentally sanguine and hopeful about what it is to be American -- governed as we are from among our own imperfect citizenry.

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they’ve tried everything else." Winston Churchill

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I meant to vote 1,2,3 but only hit 1,2

we are heading towards a police state. its worse in some parts of the country than others. if people cant see it they are blind or dont even know what the definition of a police state is.

and also, I like tacos as long as they are made by a LEGAL mexican resident. i like another type of taco too.

The BEST kind! :rockwoot:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Yet?

When we live in a state that prohibits the defense of the individual against unlawful entry into his domicile on the specific justification of "officer safety," is there any doubt we are pointed in that direction?

Our government is asking us to inform on our neighbors.

Our government is denying us the most basic rights of our humanity by force (albeit not in totality....yet).

Our government uses forces to remove people from positions that threaten it.

I think when the laws are written and the courts decide in a manner that grants greater power/authority to the vehicle of behavior enforcement (that would be LE) while simultaneously stripping the individual of his very ability to live as he sees fit, we are most definitely in a police state.

:twocents:

This is all just the dress rehearsal for the big game. Practice makes perfect, doncha know.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I thought alot about this while I was at the prison/re-education camp. The secret police heard me talking smack about Barry over the telescreen, so I had to go there for a few years.

So who's all going to the book burnings this weekend? Should be good times!

Top Bottom