• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I found a round for my .44 Magnum where the brass is squished and bulging near the projectile. It won't fit into the cylinder and I wouldn't want to try to force it as the bullet may be at a funny angle and damage the gun (or me.)

I don't want to just throw it in the regular garbage as it could go off, unlikely as that would be.

Where/who do I take defective ammo to for maximum safe disposal?

Much thanks,

Doug

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    You can take it to the local PD and they'll dispose of the ammunition. A bulge at the mouth may indicate the wrong size bullet, so DON'T shoot it.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Just set it aside until you get a puller.
    Won't hurt to wait a bit, and I promise you're gonna need the puller again :)

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I am presuming that a bullet puller is/should be available at almost any gunstore?

Thanks for the guidance.

Doug

Doug, unless you are going to start loading, don't go and buy a puller.

Set it aside and wait until the next Ft. Wayne meet / Roush trip/ or local gunshow where we can arrange to meet. Bring it then and I, or any other member that reloads, will make sure it gets pulled.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Doug, unless you are going to start loading, don't go and buy a puller.

Whoops.
    I had assumed you were asking about proper disposal of a round that had gotten messed up while reloading. (Every reloader gets one now and then).

If you don't load, or plan to, you obviously won't need to buy a puller.
    Just hang on to it till you can get it to someone that already has one.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    My search-fu is weak, so please correct me if I am wrong.

I thought that oil breaks down primers. So spraying with wd-40 or soaking in oil would kill the primer.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My search-fu is weak, so please correct me if I am wrong.

I thought that oil breaks down primers. So spraying with wd-40 or soaking in oil would kill the primer.

I have heard the same along with the contrary. I would tend to believe the opposite and simply have someone pull it.

I would have more confidence soaking in oil might work on rimfire ammo. But even then, I'm not sure.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    I would say no on the regular trash as a lot of city trash collection is incinerated and a live round could not be a good thing in there.

This is what Iv'e read from several other reliable sources:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]"Tests have shown that ammunition exposed to a fire may eventually be heated to the point that the primer and/or powder will ignite. This will usually result in the cartridge case rupturing, and force the primer from the primer pocket. The powder burns, and does not explode. Since the ammunition is not constrained within the barrel of a gun, the force is dispersed in all directions, and the bullet will do little more than drop out of the case. The primer, any pieces of the ruptured cartridge case, and the bullet will not penetrate anything much stronger than a corrugated cardboard box a few inches away.[/FONT]"

Frequently Asked Questions

...I thought that oil breaks down primers. So spraying with wd-40 or soaking in oil would kill the primer.

Not according to these guys.

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

Speaking for myself, If it was a factory round it wouldn't be worth the trouble to salvage just one scraped up, one of a kind bullet. Throw it in the trash, it's not kryptonite.

On the other hand, if I had loaded it, I would pull the bullet and salvage the powder.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I would say no on the regular trash as a lot of city trash collection is incinerated and a live round could not be a good thing in there.

I'd rather deal with a few live rounds in a trash incinerator than I would all the aerosol cans that get thrown away.

A live round is small 'taters compared to any aerosol can.

-J-

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

Thanks for the good advice here.

No, Doug does not reload. Maybe someday, but not now.

I'll either drop it by the PD or bring it to the next meetup.

Maybe I am being a safety queen by avoiding throwing it in the garbage, but I would feel horrible if I threw it out and some poor sot just going about their daily business drew the bad luck and got hurt by a fluke discharge.

And since I plan to live forever ;) that would be a LOT of sleepless nights...

Regards,

Doug

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    To All,

Thanks for the good advice here.

No, Doug does not reload. Maybe someday, but not now.

I'll either drop it by the PD or bring it to the next meetup.

Maybe I am being a safety queen by avoiding throwing it in the garbage, but I would feel horrible if I threw it out and some poor sot just going about their daily business drew the bad luck and got hurt by a fluke discharge.

And since I plan to live forever ;) that would be a LOT of sleepless nights...

Regards,

Doug

Since you're not a reloader, you're not concerned about maintaining the components in usable condition.

Just use one pair of pliers to hold the case and another to pull the bullet out. Then dump the powder out in your lawn; it's harmless. If you want, you can then put the case in your revolver to harmlessly pop the primer.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Since you're not a reloader, you're not concerned about maintaining the components in usable condition.

Just use one pair of pliers to hold the case and another to pull the bullet out. Then dump the powder out in your lawn; it's harmless. If you want, you can then put the case in your revolver to harmlessly pop the primer.

^^^This^^^ Or nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure!

Top Bottom