• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I have a 15 INCH 308 ENCORE PISTOL, what is difference between porting and muzzle brakeing a gun? I am looking at reducing muzzle flip in the air after the shot.:) THANK YOU IN ADVANCE guys.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Porting usually entails putting holes or grooved slots through the top of the barrel. A muzzle brake is usually a device screwed onto the end of the barrel with holes or grooves that reside in the 'top' of the device.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    I'm going to assume that he knows the physical difference between the two. I think he's looking for the pros, cons, and use cases of each.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Porting helps with muzzle flip. Braking reduces recoil. I have a brake on only one gun. And I have nothing that is ported so I can say much about porting and it's affects. But I would guess you'd want porting. Others will be along to comment.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a Thompson Contender in .45/70govt with a "Super 16" ported barrel.
    I also have a Taurus Raging Bull in .454Casull with an 8 3/8" ported barrel.
    The Thompson has just a bit of muzzle flip or rise, but it's hard to hold onto a 16" barreled pistol.
    The Raging Bull has absolutely ZERO muzzle rise. That revolver comes straight back at you, with no muzzle rise at all.

I'm pretty sure the Thompson is "Magna-Ported".
    No idea what the Taurus has. Just 4 holes down each side of the muzzle, but it works great.

One nice thing about porting is it will never work loose.
    If you ever want to suppress that barrel, then go with a brake.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    I have a Ruger Red Hawk,chambered 44mag it was Magnaported when I bought it---not much recoil reduction---------------I also have 4 T/C barrels with E.A.Brown breaks installed-----the 308 Bellem,the 300 Savage,and the 375 Winchester, all have The OPS Muzzle Break(199.00 installed) My 45-70 Katadin has a J.P.Howitzer Break(169.00 Installed) the ops cuts recoil by 65/75%-------The 308 Bellm(with break) feels like a 38SP------------------the 45-70(with the J.P.Howitzer) cuts recoil by 75%---feel like a light 357 ---its not "pretty" but the way it tames the 45-70,makes it a beauty....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    One bad thing about porting.........its permanent.

I don't shoot silly stuff, can take some recoil........so just shoot stuff that doesn't need it.

Gun whip was a bit, on guys 329PD with medium/hot 255's...........but recoil wasn't bad.
    My dad has a 7mm 08 Striker with brake (you can turn the brake off and on).

I think it's ugly as sin.

Prefer to shoot guns that look a little better.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I have 2 .44 Mag revolvers, 1ported. The muzzle rise on the ported gun is only about 25% of the rise on the unported one. Magna ported is a brand name. The barrel is ported using an EDM Machine, Electronic Discharge Machining to burn the ports in the barrel. This is done with a shaped Electrode and Coolant so none of the surrounding metal is affected.

Top Bottom