• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    As I've mentioned on a few other posts, I'm brand new to guns and today was my second time shooting. I have now been to two different locations and this second time the place was pretty run down inside.

When I got home I washed my hands, changed clothes, and then blew my nose. I am sorry to be graphic, but it was like grey/black. Is that just "part of it" from shooting guns? Is it because I shot more rounds today (about 40)? ...or is a range ventilation problem?

If you all have any tips on how to prevent this, I would love to hear them. I'm guessing this isn't too healthy :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Indoor or outdoor range? If it was indoor, I'd say they have a serious ventilation problem. I wouldn't go back.

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    It was indoor. The first place I went to is a brand new facility by my house in Atlanta (Indiana is my home state and I really like the INGO community so trust you all's opinion)...the second place I only went to was only because my NRA instructor was offering free lessons.

I'm guessing it was probably ventilation because this place seemed a LOT hole-in-the-wall (putting it nicely) than the first one. However, since this is only my second time shooting, I thought I would ask if this is an every time side effect to get used to...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you have gunk in your nose, it came from SOMEWHERE. Unless you've got a burst blood vessel and you're loaded with dried blood, then it came from a poorly-ventilated range. I wouldn't want to shoot in a range such as that. Poor ventilation is one reason I rarely use indoor ranges anymore, even in the dead of winter.

As a side note, if you can't wash your hands at the range, I recommend putting a small pack of baby wipes in your range bag. It's not really sufficient, but it's better than nothing. Keep them in a zip-lock bag and they won't dry out between trips.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    you can get gojo wipes in a small bucket. keep it in the trunk or truck tool box or what ever. they're great for cleanup. but yeah, try to shoot outdoors as much as possible.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    you can get gojo wipes in a small bucket. keep it in the trunk or truck tool box or what ever. they're great for cleanup. but yeah, try to shoot outdoors as much as possible.

:+1: on the Gojo wipes. You gotta get that lead and powder off as quickly as possible, before you start rubbing your eyes and stuff.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This is why I do not shoot indoors. A good friend, a cardiologist, was diagnosed with high levels of lead after shooting for several years in an indoor range with "good" ventilation. It took a lot of time and medical care to get it out of his system.

Even shooting outdoors, keep yours hands off of food, drinks, and away from your mouth until you can clean up your hands. That taste in your mouth after shooting is NOT normal and I urge you to pay attention to it.

Wen reloading, the most toxic time is when depriming and cleaning the fired cases. Keep the dust down as much as you can and seal up those spent primers in a plastic baggie.

Remember, your kids are also breathing that stuff through your home's HVAC system.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I too am not a big fan of indoor ranges for this reason. I used to frequent one for a few years and it had decent ventilation and I could still notice some gunk when I left, especially on the long range trips of 4 or 5 hours. I also always wash my hands very good before I leave the range. If I am there for a long enough time that I am going to eat then I also have hand sanitizer that I use before touching any food.

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions on how to handle this going forward! I'll definitely look into those wipes for my bag...and maybe some kind of face wash wipes too. ...on top of never going to that place again, of course :)

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It was indoor. The first place I went to is a brand new facility by my house in Atlanta (Indiana is my home state and I really like the INGO community so trust you all's opinion)...the second place I only went to was only because my NRA instructor was offering free lessons.

I'm guessing it was probably ventilation because this place seemed a LOT hole-in-the-wall (putting it nicely) than the first one. However, since this is only my second time shooting, I thought I would ask if this is an every time side effect to get used to...

I shoot at an indoor range...and only ONE time did I have a gunk and smoke issue...and that was completely AMMO related. I have since stopped buying that brand.

Now...with that said, not all indoor ranges are equal. In fact, the one I shoot at now had a seriously ventilation problem with the previous owners. the new ones do it right. And one of their RULES for the range, is to wash up with the lead removing soap in the bathrooms once you leave the range lanes.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    I have had the same problem after trips to Pops indoor range. Their ventilation is terrible at best. I'll be avoiding there at all costs.

Top Bottom