• khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    really, any extruded powder.

I have been loading rifle cartridges with a Dillon RL-550B for several years and have been happy with performance of the press and the standard Dillon powder measure.

That is, until I started using IMR 4895 (and other) extruded (long grain) powders. It works, but the variation in charges (due to cut off grains of powder, etc.) has caused me to use my powder trickler a bit more than I'd like.

Are any of the other measures (any brand) better at handling long grain powders? I am trying to stay away from the high dollar, automatic dispense, trickle and weigh systems. That's for down the road.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Kevin
    :ingo:

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I hear the Redding's are better because the tolerance between the cylinder and the bore on the powder measure is tight. That causes the cylinder to cut the kernals instead of pushing kernals in/out of the way.

You could always switch to a less course extruded powder ( Reloader 15, Benchmark...)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Dillon makes an adaptor sleeve to allow the use of a RCBS Uniflow measure on the normal die used on the dillon press. The Redding measure sounds like a good unit. I had a Hornady unit that I machined internally in a mill to make a sharp edge and it would cut granuals also. I have a uniflow, but I only use it for pistols. Good Luck

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I tend to cycle it 5 times after adjustment, then start throwing and checking on my beam scale. I'm getting .1 or maybe .2 every once in a while, but this is mainly .223 plinking ammo. I've taken into account that it can be that little bit off, but not a whole half grain.

Mark in GA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    In general, I have had a much better experience getting the Hodgdon Extremes (ADI Manufactured) extruded powders to meter better through measures than the IMR line. I have always used a RCBS measure. The trick I think is that the Hodgdon granuals are shorter. None of them run like a ball powder, but they measure close enough to deliver good accuracy. My direct experience has been with H4198, H4895, Varget, H4350, and H4831sc.

Mark in GA

Top Bottom