• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Since you are new to reloading I would go with Unique. As stated previously in most loads it will fill the case over half full so you're less likely to double charge and it's rather forgiving if there's a slight under or over charge. It's a good versatile powder. I use it to make plinking loads in .380, 9mm, 38 spec, 357 mag and .40. and find it plenty accurate. Once you get comfortable with reloading, then is the time to try different powders for more specific applications.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    .41 mag
    .44 mag----2400

.40 s&w Universal &/or Titegroup for both.
    .45 acp

I know 1 powder, but the 2400 is perfect for magnum loads only. Even says so on bottle. I know a guy that reloads .44 mag with titegroup, so if it had to be just one I would say titegroup. It's cheap, and a little goes a long way.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    .41 mag
    .44 mag----2400

.40 s&w Universal &/or Titegroup for both.
    .45 acp

I know 1 powder, but the 2400 is perfect for magnum loads only. Even says so on bottle. I know a guy that reloads .44 mag with titegroup, so if it had to be just one I would say titegroup. It's cheap, and a little goes a long way.

This is almost exactly the same thing I said, except that Power Pistol is a better choice for all of the above, if you simply MUST use a single powder.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    AVOID UNIQUE. Universal actually flows through a powder measure and doesn't leave a bunch of crud in your gun and unburned powder in the cases. Yes, I'm talking about the new "clean" burning Unique. I had been using Universal for 16 years and bought a pound of Unique during the shortage in 2009 - never again. And yes I've tried it in a few different cartridges and I get the same bad results in all of them.

.41 Mag/.44 Mag = 2400
    .45 ACP = No.5 or Universal
    .40 S&W = Universal or No.7

Universal will make some nice plinkers in the Magnums as well.

Top Bottom