• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Anyone interested in meeting up and running through these classifiers on 3/7 (Saturday)? Nothing too formal, just so that the first time we see them won't be when we shoot them. I have a membership at MSCC, but would be open to paying for a day at MCF&G.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would be down for practicing but I work most of that day. And I have already shot all of these classifiers before. So I already know what they are. Even though I'd love to practice shooting them all a few times before the match.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Id just practice normal gun handling skills personally. Why practice for a classifier. You either have the skill to shoot well or you don't. I quit "trying" on classifiers long ago. As my overall skills improved, so did my match scores and classifier scores.

Just work the basics and your weaknesses.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    just to be clear, imo, practicing classifiers is a good thing. I do it often. Lots of good skill development there. I just don't practice FOR classifiers.

I quit "trying" on classifiers long ago. As my overall skills improved, so did my match scores and classifier scores.

Once I had been dryfiring a particular classifier for like two weeks. it was a good one w/ sho/who, reloads, transfers, draws. unknown to me, it just so happened to be the classifier at the next match I went to. When I saw it I thought 'I got 100% in da bag!" then proceeded to destroy the no-shoots, flubbed the reloads, and well, didn't -quite- zero it. hahaa...

-rvb

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I agree with Ryan, practicing a variety of classifier stages is good for various skill building and re-affirmation of things learned/acquired in dryfire. But I wouldn't practice the exact classifiers the match is holding. You can if you want to, but what's the point of practicing that particular one over and over to get good at it? Your skill level either lets you perform on demand or it doesn't.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    This will be my 3rd match ever, and my first with my new gun. I was already planning on going to the range that day, so why not practice the classifiers if I have the opportunity?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    This will be my 3rd match ever, and my first with my new gun. I was already planning on going to the range that day, so why not practice the classifiers if I have the opportunity?

if your goal is just to get better at shooting, sure, go for it (or pick any of the several dozen from the book).
    http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/NCCB_4ed_2013.pdf

If your goal is to do well on the classifier and get a better classification, ok... just be prepared for me to reference this thread if you ever complain about the classifier system being "broken."

If you want to have a classification that represents your ability, just go shoot the classifier w/o grooving the courses in.

we all approach the game w our own set of motivations...

-rvb

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Lets re-phrase it a little. Other than your 3rd match (welcome to the sport btw!!) and a new gun, why do you want to practice them? So you can do better? Why do you want to do better on them? do you just want to succeed and win the match? Fine if you do, go for it. Do you want to try to earn a really high classification? Fine if you do, but that's where my concern would come in. Why practice to earn an M or A or B card (or whatever is a lofty goal for you). If you have to drill it in to get that card, your skill level wont reflect that and you wont like your class finishes at normal matches.

That's what rvb meant about the broken system - people will shoot classifiers over and over until they get a really good score to turn in and get a higher rank. then they finish last in that rank at a match bc their skill level doesn't reflect their classification. What separates the "real" GMs from what some people call the "paper" GMs is the ability to perform at that level on demand.

And yes, in turn people will also tank classifier stages on purpose so they don't move up in class before a big match (sandbaggers).

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    Any practice will help you improve. Classifiers are some great practice. If I were you I would absolutely work on the ones you know you will be shooting. Good luck at the match.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    I set-up a few scale classifiers at home, and I now realize that for me it's better to work on the principles the classifiers are testing than to work on the classifier. However, setting up the classifier and coming to that conclusion was a learning experience in it's self. In other words, if you have something you want to do that makes you excited to practice, then do it!

However, I'm now going another route..... Currently looking for magic shooting skills potion.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    it's all about the gear. buy better gear. :spend:

-rvb

I'll sell my Stock II production setup to someone. I guarantee you'll make at least M in your first 6 classifiers using it...

...if you are already a GM in another division.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I'll sell my Stock II production setup to someone. I guarantee you'll make at least M in your first 6 classifiers using it...

...if you are already a GM in another division.

I see what you did there with the small print.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Once I had been dryfiring a particular classifier for like two weeks. it was a good one w/ sho/who, reloads, transfers, draws. unknown to me, it just so happened to be the classifier at the next match I went to. When I saw it I thought 'I got 100% in da bag!" then proceeded to destroy the no-shoots, flubbed the reloads, and well, didn't -quite- zero it. hahaa...

I can do that without any practice at all!

Top Bottom