• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sajer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    I just use the cheap ones from dollar general for $2.50 each. Put one in the safe and its good to go for 6 months.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    That stuff is actually called Fresh Step® Crystals and it is hard to find. Says Crystals right on the front of the bag.
    I bought mine at a Petsmart IIRC. But I've seen it at a Walmart before (but not all Walmarts carry it).

IIRC, it cost me about $10 for a large bag of it, I think it was about 15 lbs...

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    I use the Remington rechargeable unit. I think I have the 500 model. When the indicator turns from blue to pink, you take it out of your safe and plug it in to recharge it, then put it back in the safe. Works pretty well.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Harbor freight sells indicating silica gel in 1KG sacks. You won't find it any cheaper.
    I put two of them in some Kevlar sleeves with the bottoms sewn shut. The Kevlar can take the oven temps. You could also just use a ball jar with a perforated lid or some cloth under the band. They'd take an oven recharge just fine too.
    I also bought some cheap salt shakers and filled one for each ammo box. Every few months everything gets baked back to blue from pink. The salt shakers usually don't change colors unless I'm into the boxes often. Proves the seals are good.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I use the Remington rechargeable unit. I think I have the 500 model. When the indicator turns from blue to pink, you take it out of your safe and plug it in to recharge it, then put it back in the safe. Works pretty well.
    I have one too, but the "capacity" sucks... and for that price you can get much more silica gel by itself and just use your oven to recharge it. No need for a built-in heating element and a large up-charge...

For those that don't know, silica gel is rechargable simply by heating it for a while to dry out the moisture it has absorbed.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I was reading up on this topic this week and can't find the link that someone posted (on INGO I think) for a website that sells "industrial" silica gel poweders by the lb. The person said all you need to do it buy a contain for it and you are good to go. Anyknow know the url for that website?

--UPDATE--
    Found the website it was NOT on INGO that the link came from. :D
    https://secure.drierite.com/catalog3/page15a.cfm

Came from here:
    Cat Litter as Dessicant? - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

Also on this other board they talk about how cat litter silicon is not the same as the silcon from the gun safe products.
    Cheap Gun Safe Dehumidifier - Page 2 - Nevada Shooters

It's in the same chemical make-up category but cat litter is the unseable for deciccant items version.

Last edited:

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Just drill a hole in it. It needs to be bolted down anyway so it's going to have holes. Closing the door on a live wire sounds like a really bad idea Deadeye. All of you guys talking about safes floating, you really don't have them bolted in? Making it pretty easy for thieves aren't you? The best price on rechargeable dessicant packs are any of the end of the world survivalist dealers on the web. I bought a large bag of them years ago and they're still working. Just pop them in a warm oven overnight and they come back ready to work.

Do you consider a 1200 lb safe with 200 lbs of stuff in it, "easy for thieves"?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have never seen it at harbor freight, but will look for it the next time I am there. I have always just picked it up at Hobby Lobby, in the flower section. Its used for drying flowers for floral arrangements. I think the last bag I picked up was 8 lbs., cost me about $15.

Top Bottom