• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I don't know enough about Over/Under's to create a poll, but feel free to just chime in, but there seems to be a fair amount of variant in location and style of controls...I suppose like there are on pumps, but more overt.

Things like 1 trigger or 2, chamber release lever, barrel switching on single trigger guns......what works best for you?

.....just throw me a model if you don't feel like explaining it, I'll look it up myself.

Thanks

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    I have 2 Spartans by Remington. My 20 gauge is a double trigger and the 22/410 has a switch. I like the double trigger for the shotgun and the switch for the combo. Both work well.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    SxS's over O/U's all day!

My favorite is a Parker or LC Smith, they have a thinner wrist that Ithaca doubles. Double triggers, no barrel selection (not needed with double triggers), extractors (not ejectors, this keeps the hulls in the canoe on a duck hunt).

In O/U, I really like a single trigger (can't justify the cost of AYA's with double trigges yet). I don't mess with the barrels selector, Rugers model are sloppy and move very easy (even if you don't want it to), Brownings stay where you put them. I have Rugers,Brownings and Berettas on O/U, and they are very different guns, LOP, wrist, cast, drop at the heel. You should try them sometime, they are light years better than the $500 Turkish and Russian examples that are rebranded for re-sellers in the states.

If you'd like to meet sometime and give them a try (I have a buch), drop me a line, I'm just a few minutes from Indiana Gun Club.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I have 2 Spartans by Remington. My 20 gauge is a double trigger and the 22/410 has a switch. I like the double trigger for the shotgun and the switch for the combo. Both work well.
    That makes sense to me. A switch for combo guns.

SxS's over O/U's all day!

My favorite is a Parker or LC Smith, they have a thinner wrist that Ithaca doubles. Double triggers, no barrel selection (not needed with double triggers), extractors (not ejectors, this keeps the hulls in the canoe on a duck hunt).

In O/U, I really like a single trigger (can't justify the cost of AYA's with double trigges yet). I don't mess with the barrels selector, Rugers model are sloppy and move very easy (even if you don't want it to), Brownings stay where you put them. I have Rugers,Brownings and Berettas on O/U, and they are very different guns, LOP, wrist, cast, drop at the heel. You should try them sometime, they are light years better than the $500 Turkish and Russian examples that are rebranded for re-sellers in the states.

If you'd like to meet sometime and give them a try (I have a buch), drop me a line, I'm just a few minutes from Indiana Gun Club.
    I like a SxS too, but I'm familiar with those already :)

Now when you say you like a single trigger but don't mes with the barrel selector, do you mean a model that fires one barrel, then the second on sequential trigger pulls with no switching on your part? Who

I believe I would be more interested in ejectors and extractors, though didn't know some shotguns only had extractors. I like how my single barrel gives you a second shot at the guy behind you, if you aim carefully. ;)

Appreciate the offer, as well. I pass by you often enough, may just have to do that.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Now when you say you like a single trigger but don't mes with the barrel selector, do you mean a model that fires one barrel, then the second on sequential trigger pulls with no switching on your part? Who The barrel selectior tells you which barrel fires FIRST, the second pull of the single trigger fires the other barrel, without touching the barrel selection bar.

Some guys like to shoot the top barrel on rising (flushing) birds, and will shoot the bottom barrel first on falling (landing) birds. If you never touch the barrel selector, the gun will fire the first barrel, then with another pull of the trigger, the second barrel. No need to touch it between shots.

I believe I would be more interested in ejectors and extractors, though didn't know some shotguns only had extractors. Many of the models you can change wether the gun ejects or extracts. Very nice option for the right circumstances.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    SXS, manual safety, double triggers, extractors is my preference but on an O/U I want manual safety, barrel selector on trigger, single trigger, ejectors. Standard barrel lever on both but on a SXS I like a lifter better.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Take a look at a Beretta 682 Gold trap gun. Everything is in a perfect location for me. Single trigger, Manual Safety behind the barrel break lever. 1st shot selector switch built into safety button. Trigger is adjustable for length of pull. Simple and effective, they hold up for 100's of thousands of rounds in competition. Did I mention that I liked my Beretta Silver Pigeon trap so well that spent the money on a Gold? It's not like I am the first one around here to really appreciate something I have....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom