• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My son and I are going. Everything is set, but I can't find any rules on what I would call "comfort items".

I have two cheap camping mats that we'll use, but with all this rain I was wondering if I could (or if it's even worth it) take my EZ-Up. Not looking forward to doing our first Appleseed soaking wet. Anyone familiar with MCFG and Appleseed want to over some seasoned advice?

brotherbill3

Master
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    MFFGHFHGYRHGHRHGHGH . (that's muttering under breath, but not at you, out of frustration over other things) .

OK thats outta the way. :):

MCF&G is a great place for an Appleseed. Did my first right here. I shoot AQT's here often since.

At MCF&G the line will likely be in gravel. so a tarp and mats are a good idea. You won't have to deal with too much mud.
    - but the gravel is #53's (or #57's) so it can kind of stick to boots shoes etc. - if it is very wet
    - it is rather level and easy to setup chairs and all that sort of things but also quite open to the elements.

A cheap tarp or 2 (like the blue ones at lowe's and elsewhere) are not a bad idea if you think it will be wet.
    - both to cover the equipment and such behind the line as well as to go under the mat(s) at the line.

I have seen people put up an "easy-up" canopy behind the line - Here and at other AS events ...
    I don't think they would be allowed "On" the line ... as IIT only - I would defer that to the SB or the Line Boss (full instructor).

Bring plenty water - there is no "potable" (drinkable) water - on site. I will have some to spare - and a ice-packed cooler to keep some cold.
    but not enough for everyone.
    There is a restroom and the info on it will be provided at the shoot.

Rain makes for some interesting shooting; but I've also seen some folk shoot better as it rained harder.
    They focus on the lesson - worry less about the shooting - and shoot better because they aren't thinking about being perfect.

If you have more questions - ask away!|

ETA - not sure if this was on the event brite sign up or not - there is a $10 range fee for the event.

Last edited:

Thegeek

Master
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info. I might bring the EZ-up just in case we need shelter or shade. If I don't use it, it'll just stay in the car. Not a big deal. Didn't intend to use it on the line, but for lunch and breaks it would be nice to be able to get our of the sun/rain.

Already have two $20 bills in the glove box for our entry on Sat and Sun. I'm really looking forward to it. The website did a good job with the preparation checklist, but didn't cover much about the facility amenities or the use of canopies. The weather forecast is looking a lot better now too.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Clarification on the MCFG range fee. It is now $10 per person per event, not per day ... this AS event just happens to be a 2-day event. This was changed by the club earlier this year, and may not be as clear as can be on the AS information sheet.

If you're paying for only you and your son, tuck one of those $20's away for ice cream on the way home.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Take the easyup. You'll want/need it behind the line for when you arent shooting.

Have fun!

nad63

Expert
    Oct 3, 2011
    Long sleeves and long pants are my daughters recommendation and she shot her 1st Appleseed last weekend. Not so much for bugs more for hot brass in close proximity shooting. Elbow pad or mat since you will be shooting from #53 stone or similar at MCF&G. Folding chair for sure. Great folks, great venue and a fantastic time awaits you. Have fun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ^^^THIS

she is right. I did long sleeves/pants and still ended up with three brass burns. Two were from the string I decided it was too hot for the shirt. The next string it went back on. I learned my lesson and have the blisters to prove it.

Thegeek

Master
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Seated, I ended up with a piece of brass in the cradle of my legs. Finished the mag before I did anything about it. It was humid this weekend. Good weekend for me and the boy although the heat killed his attention span a bit. At the end of the day, Bill perked him right up by offering to let him shoot some 100 yard steel on the main line. He learned quite a bit and wants to practice dry fire at home now. I should have written down who makes those "cricket" practice triggers.....

For me, I got my Rifleman on the very first AQT on Saturday. Got two more 210+ scores on Sunday and cleared the last redcoat target. I have a few bad habits to correct.....

brotherbill3

Master
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    You both did great. Your boy was doing very good. I will get a link to the full AS forum AAR when it is up, but I will (typical for me) cross post it (or more) here.

Busy evening and day. And Janir had to drive back to Milwaukee.

More later.

Thegeek

Master
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    That was easy....

K5g3GuzDZFSNqQnZ_tLo9tMPc3fDuWHfY_eiYIIHLYeIGF1etT8741wigPlAFwtVSm8=w300-rw

Thegeek

Master
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I told him I'd give him one mag on the main line. I think he got 9 of 10 at a pretty good cadence. I had to load him another. Then BB loaned him his rifle to let him see the different reticle. I think he got about 40% of those. Too much change I think. Some other shooter had a pistol ringing the deer at a pretty good pace. I was impressed.

brotherbill3

Master
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    For any and all interested - the AAR is up on the Appleseed Forum

Indianapolis, IN July 18-19 2015

For those not wanting to go there - I am cross posting my post here:

MCFG – AS – ARR 2015-0719

It was a very warm weekend; on this the 240 and 1/4 anniversary of the events we recall to learn from. All survived, and we had a fine crew and a great group of American’s wanting to learn what we had to share.

On to the pictures of the days:

Spending the day with some Fine American Patriots ... Learning History Marksmanship and Heritage ... Project Appleseed ... here we are learning Inches, Minutes, Clicks ...

20150718_110600_zps7koeyiz4.jpg

"THE REGULARS ARE OUT"
    First Strike of the Match
    Who fired the first shot on Lexington Green?
    What was the actual mission of the British Regulars that day?
    History Heritage Marksmanship

PHOTO LINKS
    20150718_114743_zpsrzmifmkw.jpg

20150718_114804_zpsuv5eejs0.jpg

20150718_114852_zps7uuvq84o.jpg

SECOND STRIKE!!!!
    Lonestar 6 delivering the true history ... Project Appleseed ...
    What caused the British Army to break and run at the north bridge?
    Captain Isaac Davis "I HAVE NOT A MAN AFRAID TO GO!"

PHOTO LINKS
    20150718_144635_zpstgkxoysl.jpg

20150718_144654_zpsc9h3qxnh.jpg

First AQT ... for a fine bunch of Americans

PHOTO LINKS
    20150718_154656_zpsvuhi0d5t.jpg

20150718_154704_zpspqnlphal.jpg

20150718_154720_zpsn87ymkms.jpg

And AMERICA!
    Third Strike!
    HUZZAH!
    Where was the Shot Heard Round the world fired?... HINT: Longfellow got it wrong, Merriam.

PHOTO LINKS
    20150718_162521_zpstuwldko1.jpg

20150718_162541_zpsyzxtsg3u.jpg

20150718_162556_zps4ssn20k1.jpg

Huzzah!
    3 young men earned a William Diamond Youth patch

20150718_170314_zpsrk7dggrb.jpg

And
    2 new Rifleman
    20150718_170226_zpslddcdsib.jpg

20150718_170152_zpsvuxdyg24.jpg

Out of this fine cast of Awakened Americans

20150718_170849_zpspt0kjiaf.jpg

SUNDAY:

THE REGULARS ARE ON THE GREEN
    LEXINGTON MILITIA
    DO NOT FIRE UNLESS FIRED UPON

20150719_090902_zps0tetkdrn.jpg

We quickly got into the “AQT Grind” so I only got 2 more photos (which I forgot I took by the end of the day HAHAHA on me):

20150719_110535_zpsgtge5cgr.jpg

20150719_110550_zpswk17tlbe.jpg

It was a busy eventful day;
    EPILOGUE:

Well I didn't get to do any more pictures today.
    I forgot to hand off my phone (as a camera) so someone could get photos of the rookie orange hat giving what were, based on all reports, a couple of fine tales of some "Dangerous Old Men" ;) ...

All in All - Another Excellent day with this fine group of AMERICANS!
    Thanks to all that were there!
    Project Appleseed –
    Learn Some Marksmanship - Understand some History - LIVE the Heritage.

Top Bottom