• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    You do know that pepper spray has significantly reduced effect on the hispanic population, right? I have seen many demo videos where mexican individuals are repeatedly sprayed with no effect.

A bottle of pepper spray is the last thing I would carry in Mexico.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    BTW, I have travelled through most of the world either by myself or with others. I have encountered everything from pickpockets to corrupt local leo's to corrupt border guards. Keep your wits about you. Pay attention. Do not appear disrepectful. Above all, have fun!

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I had lunch with a customer who went last year with his family and got robbed. He is going back on monday to the same resort. ....with his wife and two kids

I am at a loss for any other comments...all I could say was have fun........

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    My daughter and her husband went to Puerta Vallarta last month, paid for by one of his suppliers. They loved it. Never any problem. I was apprehensive about them going. Talked to a Mexican lady at a restaurant and she said they should be fine in that area. Personally, I wouldn't have gone. Lots to see yet in the good old USA.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You do know that pepper spray has significantly reduced effect on the hispanic population, right? I have seen many demo videos where mexican individuals are repeatedly sprayed with no effect.

A bottle of pepper spray is the last thing I would carry in Mexico.

:):Around here, pepper spray is called "translator in a can". It is effective when faced with a "no habla" individual.

Not that I would rely on it for self defense in a foreign country......

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    Make sure to make B&W copies of your passport. DO NOT LET THE ORIGINAL LEAVE YOUR PERSON. If someone wants ID, give them anything but your DL or passport. Leave an itinerary with multiple family members. And for the millionth time, don't drink the water. Check the seals on your bottled water.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Stop Letting the media scare you

If you subtract the handful of border towns, Mexico is very safe and the people are very friendy. Not only that the guys are like 2 heads shorter than us and maybe 140 lbs.
    I spend about 12-16 weeks there each year and have never had a serious problem. We love it and have a house there. The media is killing tourism in Mexico and its just sad. To say Mexico is unsafe is like saying USA is unsafe because of some bad areas in Detroit or New York city.
    That being said, Im certain your not supposed to take pepper spray on the plane, checked or not and for good reason. Imagine what would happen if one of those blew up in a small cargo area. I take a knife and check it. I also check a machete. Its a great weapon (I mean tool) and believe it or not, it doesnt stick out because everyone has one. I keep it on the floorboard of the back seat.
    Other than that, common sense as mentioned, about passport. Make copies of it and your DL and email it to yourself. I always travel with my Surefire flashlight too.
    Nothing can replace confidence and being aware of your surroundings. Im always at ease but my gaurd is up a but when Im with my wife and or daughter, both very pretty girls. Speaking of which, its complimentary if guys stare, flirt or honk at your girl, it not a sign of disrepect.
    Bribes. I dont pay em unless I really broke the law. Then I never give them what they want. If they are demanding too much, demand that they take you to thier boss. Or, what I've done is "lost" my DL, so I have an extra which I carry to Mexico. If you refuse to bribe them and you dont have time to go see the Chief, they will threaten to confiscate my license. Go ahead I tell them, I'll come and get it back from the Chief and tell them you wanted a bribe. They let me on my way.
    Water: Every decent resort these days has its own water treament program. Also, all restaurants only give you bottled water. What you do have to watch is the ice, and if you venture out to taco stands stay away from the lettuce. If you have a sensitive stomach, get some Immodium and some Cipro antibiotic. Its good for lots of things including Montezumas revenge. Just ask your Doc and tell him about your trip. He'll give you a script
    Good luck, relax, and have fun.

Last edited:

DMarines007

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Some parts of Mexico are ok...but I'd rather spend the money on a guaranteed safe vacation. Or atleast a statistically safer location.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    rhart, I dont know what your business in mexico is, but in my former business mexico is thought of as a VERY bad place to go, unless you are young and have no one to live for and then it can be very profitable in that business as well as ..... active .. cough, cough. im sure there are places in mexico where you can feel safe. I would never take my loved ones there though, and I have professional training and experience on how to protect them. to each their own. Im glad you have made it home safe and wish you the best in the future also.

And when I say Mexico, I mean ALL of mexico. no thank you! not for free, not even if you pay me. been asked & could make a lot of money there, will not do it. unless I had a friend in trouble. then I would be there in a heartbeat.

they probly cut off more heads in mexico than in the middle east, just so you all know.

Last edited:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Try not worrying and hangin on the beach, drinking Coronas and shots of Tequila. If your so afraid to go that you feel you need to make all sorts of preparations you should probably just stay home and hunker down in your bunker...

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Keith,

Read and enjoy:

Mexico and Central America Travel Guide | Fodor's Travel Guides

I had some friends of mine travel all over Mexico by bus and they had a great time! Their even wussy liberals and did just fine.

When I traveled to Europe I hit my doctor up first and asked her if there was anything she recommended. She advised me to get a Hepatitis A vaccine. She explained that if I caught it I wouldn't die but it would be like a really nasty flu for a week, so I did it. I shopped around at the local pharmacies for price and had Medicine Shoppe order it for me. I had to pick it up from them and get it straight to my doctors office as it had to stay cold. Check w/ your Doctor about anything he/she may recommend before departing.

I would also recommend a visit to the Dentist first. Better to deal with a dental issue here than in a country where he may not Habla Ingles.

When I traveled Europe I ALWAYS used a neck purse. Helps avoid problems with pickpockets.

No jewelry or expensive watches at all! Don't take anything you would miss.

Call your credit card companies and tell them where you will be and WHEN you will be there. Any use outside of those areas and time frames they are to cancel your card.

Spend really good money on really good walking shoes! Also mucho denero on good socks! I like Ecco shoes but have heard that Rockports are also good.

Check out Rick Steves website for general travel info. I looked for a link on his site regarding Mexico but didn't find anything.

Oh yeah, don't forget that Mexicans have two ways of spelling water: Cerveza & Tequila!:D

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom