• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I wrote my Congress critters something short and sweet.

I do not support another AWB as the last one was ineffective since Columbine happened during it. Feel good legislation that does nothing is just a waste of time and just upsets law abiding citizens.

I urge you to suggest a center where experts can provide information to help parents, friends, and family in identify those most likely to do something like this which are the Ideological like the Ft Hood shooter, Psychotic like Loughner, and those socially disconnected like the recent tragedy.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I'm watching it right now. It's funny because not one question being asked is about gun control. It's all about the negotiations on economic policies. Obviously, the more important issue.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ya know - that brings up an interesting political question: which is the distraction, the fiscal cliff or gun control?

I'm starting to think that President Obama is trying to use the Newton shooting as the distraction!

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    It certainly would seem so. They know that the cliff is inevitable, so steer the attention towards something fleeting and watch as the lower classes tear each other apart because of uncontrollable inflation.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I thought it was funny that during the questioning, he told a reporter by name to go ahead and ask her question....then had to look around to find her. He obviously already knows the questioners and questions being asked.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Well, yeah. I mean, they most likely know the questions and have a round-a-bout answer to them. My only hope is that they make intelligent decisions regarding this. What frightens me is that if some wishy washy laws are passed and something like CT happens again, then the anti-gunners are going to go nuts and want an all out ban on all guns.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I want to know what makes him think that the "vast majority of gun owners" support a ban on military style assault weapons and high capacity magazines ??

Also what makes him think that the 1994 crime bill was a "huge success" and it "dramatically reduced the violent crime rate" ?
    I was under the impression that it was a huge failure, much like the president at that time, and it didn't stop one single crime, but rather it only accomplished one thing, and that is, the gun dealers who had good supply of assault weapons and high capacity mags, they got richer, simple economics supplyvs. demand.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So what's the process and timeline for something like this? Does it have to be passed by house, senate etc? Or can he just executive order it through? Will SCOTUS review it? Will the precidence of a previous AWB make this easier to pass?

Essentially, how much time do I have to save money and get an AR?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I want to know what makes him think that the "vast majority of gun owners" support a ban on military style assault weapons and high capacity magazines ??
    It's called the "big lie" theory. If you repeat a lie often enough, people begin to believe it to be true. And not to Godwin, but the Nazi's used this concept. Fitting, that.
    Also what makes him think that the 1994 crime bill was a "huge success" and it "dramatically reduced the violent crime rate" ?
    I was under the impression that it was a huge failure, much like the president at that time, and it didn't stop one single crime, but rather it only accomplished one thing, and that is, the gun dealers who had good supply of assault weapons and high capacity mags, they got richer, simple economics supplyvs. demand.

See above. Same answer. Actually, though, this latter is demonstrable to be false. The other depends on polls, which we all know can be written to generate the answer the writer wants:

"Do you believe the Constitution grants people a right to carry a firearm on their person?"

A question similar to this was posed years ago by, I think, the Washington Post, and is still quoted here as a poll to answer. Now... were they looking to see who believes in the RKBA or were they looking to see who believes that the right originated with that document? ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So what's the process and timeline for something like this? Does it have to be passed by house, senate etc? Or can he just executive order it through? Will SCOTUS review it? Will the precidence of a previous AWB make this easier to pass?

Essentially, how much time do I have to save money and get an AR?

Regarding the first part, technically any new ban would have to be passed by both houses of Congress (House and Senate) and signed by the President to take effect. Depending on what it said, and how it was enforced, it would be open to attack in court. That's how the 3 branches are supposed to work. Could take months for the legislation to pass, and years for it to be decided in court.

But, given some of the President's past statements about "taking action where Congress will not" he may try to use executive orders. That would, IMHO, be very bad for our republic.

Short of that, he and the administration have a certain amount of discretion in how gov't operated. Applications and background checks might get "slow-walked." Certain dealers may be scrutinized, in an effort to chill transactions overall. Things like that.

In terms of buying a new rifle, there will be an ebb and flow to the market prices, but overall they will trend higher until this is resolved. Probably best to save nickles and pennies until you have enough to get what you want. :)

IMHO.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I'm anxious to see what the NRA has to say on Friday, especially since the pres's announcement.

Top Bottom