• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Supply of primers has been off and on for 4 years now. There have been record numbers of people buying guns, and they all want ammo. And the people who already had guns aren't buying less ammo. Ammo factories will use up their own primers before they send any out to the reloaders.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, panic buying can play a role. Also, what Kludge said is a huge factor...

I personally know a few this past year that didn't want to worry about availability and/or price of ammo so they got into reloading. For everyone that has a limited amount of funds, they sure can put back a nice stash of primers for the same amount of money than just buying loaded ammo. For a good portion of the year, I was always able to get Winchester primers at $150.00/5000. Now, how much loaded ammo would that have bought me ?

I haven't checked for at least a month, but I'm sure I wouldn't find them at that price again. I can see this getting much worst before it eases. Hopefully, I am wrong.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I just checked my usual on line supplier, they show most primers in stock, and I didn't see where the prices had gone up from what they were a month or so ago.

RonnieF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    New Castle,Indiana
    Whats the best primer to look for my loads will mostly be for hunting if that varries anything. Im a newbie so sorry if its a dumb question was gonna order a bulk of them on payday

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Whats the best primer to look for my loads will mostly be for hunting if that varries anything. Im a newbie so sorry if its a dumb question was gonna order a bulk of them on payday

depends on what you will be reloading, caliber? type of weapon? There's many to chose from. :dunno:

my advice, consult your reloading data book, see what bullet and powder you'll be using, then get a pack of 100 primers(usually 3-5 bucks) of a couple different brands(CCI, winchester, etc) and see which gives you the best results. Personally, I tend to like the CCIs in most of my guns, especially their rifle primers.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    150 per 5000 at traildust ( or awful close to that for Winchester)yesterday.
    He had 223 ammo but only the expensive TAP stuff and ten round stripper clips for $6.50.
    I'm seeing ammo supplies dwindle a bit but not primers yet.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have always found CCI and Winchester to be consistant and dependable. From my experiments, (firing primed brass in the dark) Winchester is noticably brighter which corresponds to the common opinion that winchesters are "hotter". A hotter primer is prefered in very cold weather. The CCI primers were noticably dimmer when fired in the same conditions, but the softer glow was more uniform shot after shot. That made me think they were slightly more consistant. This also was seen on the Chronograph when with all other factors carefully regulated, the CCI had a small but measureable edge on standard deviation. At the time, I felt that my findings would result in better accuracy. Unfortunately group after group at measured 300 yard targets did not show any accuracy difference between winchester and CCI. Not every experiment gains real life usable results. At least it put my mind at rest, both work really well.

Now I just use either brand with equal confidence and concentrate more on my aiming fundamentals.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I cut my reloading teeth on CCI primers and have had the least problems with them. At the same time, I've had very few problems with any type of primer. For my accuracy loads and for the best reliability in hunting loads, I'll always stick with CCI.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    What's funny is from what I've seen primers are the only reloading component that is scarce. I can still find the shelves stocked with powder and bullets, usually.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I see a lot of CCI and Winchester fans here, but I have had good results with Wolf, and am just breaking into some Tula's which are made in the same factory as Wolf. The only thing I have found with either brand, is they are harder than most US made primers, and S&W pistols with the firing pin attached to the hammer, don't seem to like them very well. I usually purchase them online 10,000 at a time, along with a can or 2 of powder which makes the total cost, including the hazmat charge, less than I can find locally for both.

Top Bottom