• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Hodgdon uses small pistol magnum primers for all the .357 Mag load on their web site, whether H110 or Titegroup, specifically Winchester SPM.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Use what your reloading manual says to use. Usually they will even tell you what brand most of the time. Yes there are differences among brands, so that is one of the reasons you start at the start load and stop at the max load IF you don't see pressue signs (like flat primers, sticky exctraction, etc.). If you see pressure signs, stop and back down a bit.

As a general rule don't use H110 with anything but magnum primers. Titegroup can go either way. Use what the manual uses -- that is what they tested the pressure with to determine that the load was safe. If you change you could drastically alter the pressure curve and therefore the safety of the listed load.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Hodgdon uses small pistol magnum primers for all the .357 Mag load on their web site, whether H110 or Titegroup, specifically Winchester SPM.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Use what your reloading manual says to use. Usually they will even tell you what brand most of the time. Yes there are differences among brands, so that is one of the reasons you start at the start load and stop at the max load IF you don't see pressue signs (like flat primers, sticky exctraction, etc.). If you see pressure signs, stop and back down a bit.

As a general rule don't use H110 with anything but magnum primers. Titegroup can go either way. Use what the manual uses -- that is what they tested the pressure with to determine that the load was safe. If you change you could drastically alter the pressure curve and therefore the safety of the listed load.

:+1:

Excellent and spot on reply!

Allow me to add a few items:
    First, use H110 (or W-296) only for "magnum" loads. Do not load that powder down for lighter loads--detonation could happen.

Second, Titegroup is a great powder for lighter "target" loads, unless it is loaded way down. It is a double-base powder (nitrocellulous and nitroglycerin) and becomes dirty in very small quantities. The result can be a failure of the case to seal adequately in the chamber, resulting in blow-by fouling that might cause the cylinder to jam. This happened to me, and, on the advice of a tech rep at Hodgdon, I switched to Trail Boss which burns cleaner in extremely light loads.

Bottom line: H110 for full loads; Titegroup for lighter loads.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Not much experience loading H110 in the 357, but the 44 loads I have worked with reflect everything that has been stated. The one exception that I have found, though still working on validating completely, is the primer. I have used Federal standard primers with this powder with identical results in velocity (actually a bit more consistent) as compared to the CCI magnum LP primers. Winchester LP primers have given similar results, though the box stated they can be used for standard or magnum loads.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I would strongly encourage all reloaders to have at least a couple of good, fairly recent, manuals, and to follow the recipes found in them. As experience is gained one might experiment a little.

I try to keep in mind that when I shoot I'm basically setting off an explosion in front of my face.

I said that to say I use the primers, and loads, that are recommended.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Allow me to add a few items:
    First, use H110 (or W-296) only for "magnum" loads. Do not load that powder down for lighter loads--detonation could happen.

One more... H110 works best (burning clean and consistently) with heavy bullets and a firm crimp. In the .357 that means 158gr and heavier.

45fan... have you shot your loads in cold weather? (like in the 20's) There are enough stories out there regarding cold weather and H110 that I'm not going to chance it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    with H110 load them hot as said above and use mag primers..Winchester's primers are my favorite......i use 17gr of 296 with 158JHP'S very clean burn and packs a punch!!!...i only load hot loads for 357mag.....38's are a different story....

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    45fan... have you shot your loads in cold weather? (like in the 20's) There are enough stories out there regarding cold weather and H110 that I'm not going to chance it.

I actually started load work with H110 in January of this year. While I dont have a pressure barrel, I do have a Chronograph, and do watch for overpressure signs when working up a load. The load I started with called for CCI Magnum LP, and I did start with those as a baseline. I had an abundance of Federal and Winchester LP primers, and for convenience more than anything, have tested and compared these to the published loads magnum primer. As far as primers went, my best results were with the Winchester primer, though as I stated, the box states that they are suitable for magnum and non magnum loads.

The two biggest differences I found with H110 were load and crimp related. I always start at the minimum load and work my way up, but no matter what primer was used, I still had unburnt kernels up to 75% of max load. I also found that using a good, heavy crimp is vital to consistency with this powder.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    I always use magnum primers with W296 (H110). You also need to make sure that you have tight neck tension (in other words, don't use worn out brass for hot loads) and a firm crimp for reliable ignition and good performance. Don't download this powder, it needs to be used in full power loads.

Top Bottom