• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    As related in a different thread, I recently upgraded to a Dillon 550B from a single stage press. When I did, I purchased everything needed to load 45 acp, 9mm and 380. Problems started with the 9mm and are now cascading to the 45 setup. Problem is that this thing eats materials faster than I can buy them.

In the past, I would buy a pound of powder about twice a year to maybe 4 times a year at best. Since I've purchased the Dillon, I've bought 3 pounds in the last week. Same with bullets. A box of 500 9mm fmj would easily last until between 1500s but I just went through one in two days.

Since getting the Dillon 550, I've loaded over 500 rounds of 9mm and 350 in 45 acp in less than a week. I can now load 45 faster than I can shoot it at the range. I timed the last batch of 100 and it took 11 minutes to do it. That's working nice and slow, visually checking the powder level with each round.

We've fired 400 of those 9mm rounds in the last two days. Every one was flawless. This thing works so well, it's going to eat me out of house and home. This does not bode well for the future. If nothing else, my mailman will now hate me because I need to mail order bullets. Either that or I need to take a hand cart to the 1500 to haul enough supplies out to last a couple of months.

On a serious note, I love this thing. I'm glad I spent a couple of years on a single stage press, but this has got to be the best gun money I've ever spent. I still need to get parts to do 223 and 7.62x39 to increase the financial abuse but it will be worth it.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    That's an awesome problem to have. I am in the process of setting my 550 up and getting going this week. I am not an experienced loader like you so I plan on going nice and slow.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That was my experience with the 550B also. Great machine. My first set up day (1994) I made 4 out of spec rounds when I was learing how to adjust everything, my fault, not the equipment. By the 5th cartridge, everything was right and it made perfect ammo since then. Good Machine

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    341   0   1
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    You think the 550b is a hungry machine, get yourself a 650 with a case feeder. Its eating me out of house and home. :)

Seriously, congrats - seems like you're really up and running. :yesway:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That's an awesome problem to have. I am in the process of setting my 550 up and getting going this week. I am not an experienced loader like you so I plan on going nice and slow.

You will love it once it's set to go. When I was loading with a single stage press, it was much easier to do QA on everything since each operation was done in batches of 50. I think the key to making sure you don't get either a double or a zero charge is to look into the case of each and every round before setting a bullet on top. One thing I do to make it easier is to position a light so the case rim shadow sits at the top of the powder charge. I can see instantly if something is wrong. The only bad charges I've gotten was when something else went wrong, like a bent case from not entering the sizing die right or a primer issue. It's easy to pop a new case in and try again which would give a double charge on the next station if you are not careful.

I treat checking each powder charge like we treat the 4 rules of gun safety. It's just a rule that I do each and every time and I have confidence that I'll turn out safe ammo. Good luck with your setup. Like I said, you'll love it.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Excellent post Tim..

You will love it once it's set to go. When I was loading with a single stage press, it was much easier to do QA on everything since each operation was done in batches of 50. I think the key to making sure you don't get either a double or a zero charge is to look into the case of each and every round before setting a bullet on top. One thing I do to make it easier is to position a light so the case rim shadow sits at the top of the powder charge. I can see instantly if something is wrong. The only bad charges I've gotten was when something else went wrong, like a bent case from not entering the sizing die right or a primer issue. It's easy to pop a new case in and try again which would give a double charge on the next station if you are not careful.

I treat checking each powder charge like we treat the 4 rules of gun safety. It's just a rule that I do each and every time and I have confidence that I'll turn out safe ammo. Good luck with your setup. Like I said, you'll love it.

Yes, the powder charge station is the MOST important station of the load process, with a progressive press.
    If I have a concern with my 550, the first thing that I do, is pull the brass pin and the charged case-then repair the concern, then reinstall the charged case.
    To me about the same as clearing a semi-auto pistol-FIRST you remove the magazine-THEN-you work the slide 2-3 times. ALWAYS in that order..Bill..:dunno:

Gaffshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Have had two for over 15 years. Once had a piston get warped somehow. I sent it back and they fixed it free of charge.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana

Thank's for the info.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    Today I shot my first dozen rounds I produced with my 550 and was really pleased with how they worked. Now that I know they feed and fire good I can make a couple hundred for this weekend at the range.
    It really felt good to make this ammo myself and see how well it worked. I now have an awesome extension of my shooting hobby!!!!

Top Bottom