• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Anyone heard of these before and tried any? Came upon this randomly while surfing YouTube.

Purports to:

Removes 99.9999% of commonly found waterborne bacteria
    Removes 99.99% of viruses
    Removes 99.9% of protozoa
    Removes arsenic and other chemicals

P&G Water Purification
    Amazon: P&G Purifier of Water Portable Water Purifier Packets

21283916-1a06-4bc0-906a-2641f9a88a0c.__CR44,0,2829,875_PT0_SX970_V1___.png

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Haven't tried, but there's no reason they shouldn't be effective. They're basically little pre-measured bleach and a flocculant packets to disinfect and clear the water (calcium hypochlorite and ferric sulfate). Kind of expensive, but convenient.

Personally, I'd try to remove more particulates from the water first, rather than rely on a flocculant to clear it. Gives the bleach a better chance to work. That water in the pics is nasty.

Of course, it's much cheaper just to buy calcium hypochlorite and do your own dosing. Depends how much one values the convenience of the packets.

Interesting that 12 packets are $24.99 on Amazon, but on P&G's website, you can donate $7.50 and provide clean water for a child for a year. Hmm.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    The flocculant part was new to me... and figured there would be expertise here. ;)

I have a handful of strategies to avoid starting with water that contaminated but had wondered if there were alternatives if that was all that was available, basically swamp water, lol!

I see elsewhere that the manufacturing cost is 3.5 cents per packet and the NGO cost is 10 cents.

So, surely there is a much more affordable source than $2+ per packet... or some version of roll your own.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Just get pool shock. Look for 70% calcium hypochlorite (or a percentage close to that), follow directions easily found online, and make your own purifier. One standard bag will clean 10,000 gallons.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So, surely there is a much more affordable source than $2+ per packet... or some version of roll your own.
    In many cases, Amazon is the WORST source for products. Its not uncommon to find AMZ pricing 2-4x the price on other sites. Ive seen it dozens of times. They (and 3rd party sellers) take advantage of people too lazy to look elsewhere.

And I'm not talking about them bundling in the $8 cost of shipping in the prime price. I'm talking $20 for a $5 part.

Top Bottom