• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheepdogeef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Elkhart
    I have carried for some time, and try to keep informed about our laws and rights in Indiana, but I have this question for any who might know. Our laws say that we (LTCH) can be prohibited to carry at our place of employment if that place so decides. But, if they decide to prohibit CCW, what is their obligation for communicating that decision? Does it need to be posted?... Does it need to be available in some official and accessible to the employee policy? I can't seem to find that information. Thanks all.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    They can tell you personally, in writing, or on the door. They cannot tell you that you can't have it in the parking lot if locked out of sight. (except for exemptions listed in indiana code)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I would assume that employers must inform employees of any conditions to their employment either at the time of employment, or as soon as the policy takes effect. I don't have the State or Federal law handy to back this up, though.

Doesn't really have anything to do with guns. We just got notice of a new "ethics" policy at my office. Now that I have been officially informed, I can either agree or resign. Pretty simple.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I have carried for some time, and try to keep informed about our laws and rights in Indiana, but I have this question for any who might know. Our laws say that we (LTCH) can be prohibited to carry at our place of employment if that place so decides. But, if they decide to prohibit CCW, what is their obligation for communicating that decision? Does it need to be posted?... Does it need to be available in some official and accessible to the employee policy? I can't seem to find that information. Thanks all.

Did you receive an employee handbook/manual when you hired on? Employers should have employees sign a form stating they received the manual to cover themselves (I've not worked anywhere that sat with you and covered policy even on the things they've got a duty to inform like EEOC/FMLA/and several others). If a policy was added and employees weren't informed, it could create sticky situations. If you don't have a copy (and even if you do) I'd ask in a generic manner to see if you can get a copy to review to see if there is a weapons policy.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    Are you asking due to wanting to carry on the job ("in the office"), or walking to and from? Just curious...

I personally wouldn't carry on the in the office (in the next 20 years I wouldn't even think about it), but I could see a day with the "to and from" that I would, maybe once or twice when working late. But I'd have to have a good lock setup in my office, to store my Glock during the 8 to 5 hours. I certainly wouldn't use my desk drawers, as HR also has a key... (LOL)

sheepdogeef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Elkhart
    Now, let me make it more complicated... I started work for this company 30+ yrs ago. I vaguely remember that they showed me a document on day-one that said "no firearms permitted". Now, being 30+ yrs ago, this was BEFORE any LTCH laws were on the books (I think). So if new LTCH laws come into effect, is the company obligated to declare "no firearms" where they would normally be allowed. I mention that I vaguely remember this document from 30 yrs ago, but I don't want to outright ask the HR dept, thereby implying that I will carry onsite if so allowed. Thoughts?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Now, let me make it more complicated... I started work for this company 30+ yrs ago. I vaguely remember that they showed me a document on day-one that said "no firearms permitted". Now, being 30+ yrs ago, this was BEFORE any LTCH laws were on the books (I think). So if new LTCH laws come into effect, is the company obligated to declare "no firearms" where they would normally be allowed. I mention that I vaguely remember this document from 30 yrs ago, but I don't want to outright ask the HR dept, thereby implying that I will carry onsite if so allowed. Thoughts?

As asked earlier in the thread..

Are you asking about carrying into the building, or having one in your car? Having it in your car is legal in all but a few exempt businesses, so your employer's policy is moot..

Carrying into the building can be prohibited, but I am not sure if how that fact needs to be communicated is part of any IC..

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    At a prior employer the ruling was burried in the company car policy, that you weren't allowed to have a gun. That was an old old policy, that they claimed covered all work areas.

Eventually they updated the standard employee handbook and it was covered there.

We located the information by talking to other folks that we knew were gun enthusiasts - and just by comparing notes with one another we were able to locate the documentation without involving HR. I would never involve HR on that issue, ever!

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Having worked for a Fortune 500 company (Indiana location), I'll paraphrase their policy on this topic: "...possession of firearms by office personnel inside XYZ, Inc. buildings is prohibited per policy..."

This does not include firearms locked in vehicles outside of the buildings. Of the employee vehicles that I've walked beside on my way between buildings, it's no surprise that I don't recall seeing any firearms inside them, either.

In this reduced paper (paperless) business world, very large companies may have hundreds of policies with monthly updates to some of those documents. These are not routinely printed on paper, and reside on a company server(s) for viewing via a computer monitor.

It is not an unusual for employees to have a mandantory requirement of understanding and complying with every current policy (thousands of paragraphs of policy).

When, and where should each employee access current policy for understanding, and review?
    My guess is that this question is not specifically mentioned in policy. :D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom