• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Another thread got me interested in this.

What are the pros and cons of modifying your carry gun?

And when I say "modify", I'm talking about any after market parts that replaces the factory stock parts. Such as trigger kits. (APEC for the M&P)

Do you think you could have legal problems if you had to use your "modified" gun in a self defense situation?

But shouldn't you make your carry gun "better", for you?

Discuss.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Consult your attorney and/or one who specializes in this, your mind will be blown if the "victim" who was the bad guy files a civil suit. This is not one for the water cooler argument...

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would be more worried with reliability problems than legal problems.
    If I get a bunch of aftermarket parts for my Glock, for example, I would no longer carry a Glock, but maybe a "30% Glock" (if you use aftermarket magazines, trigger, spring, barrel etc) .I wouldn't have the 100% reliablity of the factory firearm anymore in my opinion.

Also with a good quality firearm I dont think you need to change anything to the gun.
    I see many people who change parts of their guns, like getting a 3.5 lbs trigger on a Glock (sorry Glock again) instead of the factory 5.5 lbs trigger.
    They do that to "make the gun more accurate, make it shoot better, etc", where what they should do is make THEMSELVES better, by that I mean practice and getting good with the factory gun.
    I see many people who change lots of things even before shooting the gun a single
    time in its stock configuration.

For me you should keep your carry gun SIMPLE, no fancy parts, nothing added.
    If you want to try to add fancy aftermarket parts do it to your range gun, but a carry gun, home defense gun, should be the most reliable, therefore with less crap possible added to it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Consult your attorney and/or one who specializes in this, your mind will be blown if the "victim" who was the bad guy files a civil suit. This is not one for the water cooler argument...

But isnt it a good idea to "improve" your gun so you would have a better chance of survival?

I'm not trying to argue. As I see your point, and I understand, but I'm wanting to learn more on this subject.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Whatever it takes to put more holes in the target precisely and quickly.

If you need a light trigger, go for it. Night sights because yours eyes stink...go for it.

Just don't go full auto.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    But isnt it a good idea to "improve" your gun so you would have a better chance of survival?

I'm not trying to argue. As I see your point, and I understand, but I'm wanting to learn more on this subject.

I do agree with you. I think anything you can do to improve your chances is a good thing. Fights are not fair, so cheat to win..

On the other side in a civil suit..

"So the firearm wasn't lethal enough as the factory designed it so you took upon yourself, against the manufacturer recommendation to modify the pistol to increase it's lethality, that has left my client paralyzed."

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I do agree with you. I think anything you can do to improve your chances is a good thing. Fights are not fair, so cheat to win..

"So the firearm wasn't lethal enough as the factory designed it so you took upon yourself, against the manufacturer recommendation to modify the pistol to increase it's lethality, that has left my client paralyzed."

The modifications I made, made me more proficient with the weapon I used to put your client, your client that was trying to force grave harm against myself/others, that put him in that wheel chair. It's by the sure grace of God that he isn't being buried by his family at this time. The firearm did not malfunction in any way, all seven rounds fired were a necessary to stop his felonious assult and not allow other bystranders to be injured.

Now, don't get started on those that roll there own sd rounds.....

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI

wouldnt the suit have more to do with whether or not you shot in self defense? if i had to shoot his client his client was trying to kill me. by the book self defense.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I think the legal aspect is nothing to worry about with in reason.

As far as customizing your fire arm to fit you its a good idea. I dont know many people that dont customize there fire arm to some point or another to make it fit there every day use or just plain function of use. These modifications whether it is a belt clip on a Kel-Tec or high vis sights on a 1911 or even a trigger pack for a smoother pull to shorter reset for shot responce are normal in my book for the avid shooter. You buy a fire arm because you like the platform for starters then as you play to you make changes to fit its need. For instance: I love my 1911 but I baught a Glock 36 to carry for work. the first thing I had done was installed a competition trigger so it had a shorter pull and reset which made it a little closer to what I was used to in my 1911. Why not carry the 1911 you might ask..... Well as much as I love the 1911 I have issues crawling on the ground in rain, snow so on so forth.. under cars with an all steel gun. There for I use a polymer one with less maintinance than my Colt I have grown to love. Modify your fire arm to what you will use it for...

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010

Im sorry your Honer.... Had I modified it more we would not have this conversation of him being paralyzed.:draw:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Modify your gun to make it work best for you, that is responsible and safer for everyone. Shoot the SOB, just don't carve your initials in him after he dies.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I didnt mean to just poke fun because Games is right.. The oppositions lawyer is there to for two reasons A. to win the case and B. to make money... there for they'll twist all they can to achieve it.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    It depends on your testimony. Some people testify, "I was in fear for my safety and pointed the gun at him. He raised his gun and my gun went off." Did you consciously try to shoot him? "No, I was just in fear for my safety and of others and my gun went off. I did not intentionally shoot him."

In a situation like that, a lightened trigger would be further evidence of your reckless homicide. Since self-defense has to be an intentional act, shooting the perp does not rise to that level. It becomes an accidental shooting. Gun modifications would play an important role in any such trial.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Another thread got me interested in this.

What are the pros and cons of modifying your carry gun?

And when I say "modify", I'm talking about any after market parts that replaces the factory stock parts. Such as trigger kits. (APEC for the M&P)

Do you think you could have legal problems if you had to use your "modified" gun in a self defense situation?

But shouldn't you make your carry gun "better", for you?

Discuss.
    You, might call me an old fuddy duddy, or whatever... But MY main 3 carry weapons, are out of the box STOCK, AFAIK..... and my "backup" is also..... NOW, they are all slicked up, with thousands of "practice" rounds through them ..... (and a few of what I carry) .....

Top Bottom