• ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    What? Who? can you repeat that?

My wifes uncle a avid turkey shoot shooter who believed that win 9's AA's were not all that bad as far as sound waves.

I just have cheap muffs and free plugs. I have always wanted some custom fit ones but never got to the point that I parted with cash to make it happen.

eatdessertfirst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    The ear doctor told me I have carpenter's ear from all the skill saws and routers.
    Question: you guys with ringing ears: do you use ear protection or have you given up. I guess what I'm trying to ask: can the deterioration be arrested if muff/plugs are used, or, is it just going to get worse.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    Has anyone used the electronic ear muffs from Winchester? I think the model number is 99779. they're rated at 27 NRR. Wally has these for $25. My passive muffs are good protection, I'm just thinking ahead for range and training use.

Last edited:

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    The ear doctor told me I have carpenter's ear from all the skill saws and routers.
    Question: you guys with ringing ears: do you use ear protection or have you given up. I guess what I'm trying to ask: can the deterioration be arrested if muff/plugs are used, or, is it just going to get worse.

This is from a "safety cop" or "osha guy", not a dr., but if your ears already ring, the damage is done. That's not to say it can't get worse. I worked with a gentleman that believed that by taking the hearing aids out of his ears, he couldn't do anymore damage. The sound waves still hit your ears with the same force as before, your anatomy just can't keep up with it anymore.

Eyes and ears, all the time.

chewmaize

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    I picked up a Security Six .357 a couple weeks ago. I've been in and out of the hospital for the past few months, so haven't been able to get out and shoot. I tood the Security out, all excited to shoot again, and of course I forgot my ears. One shot of the .357 magnum had my ears ringing for 6 hours! Ruined my night.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    I wish I could go back and have a do-over with some of the stupid stuff I did as a teen. A couple of 12 gauges and some junk (with no ear protection) was just stupid. My ears have never been the same.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I was just about to post a thread about this when I got home..

Today at the range, me and my girlfriend went out to shoot the new .22, and the shotgun. We got there only to realize she left her ears at home. So I gave her mine. Figured I would rather have her ears protected for the shotgun than mine..

Damn was I wrong. My right ear is still ringing, and we got done around 6:00. It sucked. I couldn't hear a damn thing. That's the last time (hopefully there is no permanent damage) I forget my plugs at home!!

P.S. My hearing is slowly recovering, just not at a super fast rate, which is leading me to believe I didn't really harm anything in there.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    The Wal Mart here sold the one Winchester electronic pair of muffs they had. I was a day late.:xmad:

So, I happened to be up in Hammond at Cabellas Saturday. I picked up a set of electronic muffs there. I got Caldwell E-MAX LP. $32.00 w/tax.

I put batteries in them today and went out back to try them out. I brought out both the Glock 9mm and the Colt 1911. Here are my impressions:

1. The head band is wide so it pressed the button on top of my cap into the top of my head. Had to find a spot so that wouldn't happen.
    2. They have a noticable hiss when your in a quiet room. Outside, I didn't notice it
    3. the electronics performed as I expected. When I fired, what sound I did hear was at a comfortable level. There is a slight delay after a shot but, I could hear the last bit of the echo.

I need to take these to the indoor range and see how they work with 10 other people shooting bazookas and 50 calibers around me. I'm happy with these. That is until I try some of the more expensive models. :):

Hillbillyblood

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    LaPorte Indiana
    I'm 43 and have worked in a factory environment all my life. The ringing is no fun and will keep you awake sometimes, sure the loud music and being a young "it wont happen to me" person didn't help. Well I wear ear protection religiously now it wont bring the hearing back but it will prevent it from getting worse.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I am in the same boat with my hearing. I have a ring that comes and goes. I blame it on my blood pressure. :D

After years of working around aircraft without hearing protection, shooting over half my life (Did wear hearing protection.), I do what I can to keep what I have left. Fourteen years at Chrysler did not help either.

If you are in a area where you should wear hearing protection, than do so. It will save you in the long run.

Top Bottom