• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • njbenja06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    Hello everyone. About a year ago I purchased a cugir build PSL. I have taken it shooting about a dozen times and each time have the same issue. It gets a stovepipe jam where the empty cartridge doesn't fully eject and gets stuck between the piston rod and the partially chambered fresh round. To make matters worse, it takes a few good minutes for the empty cartridge to cool down before I can work on removing it (and yes the wait is required trust me). I have tried a variety of ammo from my bulgarian surplus to brown bear to prvi partizan with different amounts of grain. While the lower grain had fewer issues ejecting it was still there. Tried different shooting positions, still to little sucess. So I am looking for some advice. I have checked other forumns but there are so many answers I figured a more select group to answer could help. Is this common among other 762 54 semi autos because the next gun I am looking at is the SVT 40 which I finally have saved up enough for. Anyway, any advice or direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Hmmm. So is it not cycling rounds?

Bolt isnt blowing back far enough to eject the round?
    Causing round to be partially ejected while another feeds?

Weak blowback springs? Wore out?
    Extractor broken or chipped?

Ive had no issues with ammo or jams with mine.

This is a real simple platform not much can go wrong, i'd head over to ak files and look for another spring assembly and try that out, or if you receive no replies there ask the folks over at ak file forums in the romak psl section.

njbenja06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    Ok, I appreciate the advice. From the looks its seems it is mainly just being partially ejected while another feeds so I will check the extractor again. Maybe takes some pictures and post them in ak files because I am not overly sure of signs to look for with a bad extractor. Will do some more investigating today and will let you know what I find. Appeciate the reply none the less, but yes it is a simple platform. Never had any issue with my AK's.

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Let's cover and eliminate a few "turn it on" tech support type questions that may or may not help:

1. Is the entire rifle cleaned properly to remove any potentially hardened cosmo? (particularly the bolt/extractor/chamber area)
    2. Is the magazine spring installed properly?
    3. Are the rounds loaded properly (rim in front of rim)?
    4. Are you using 147gr or lighter loads?
    5. How are you shooting the rifle? Bench? Unsupported etc etc.

njbenja06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    1. Have cleaned multiple times
    2. Mag spring installed properly, i know that a lot came from factory backwards (including one that came with it when i bought it).
    3. I am using mostly 147gr loads.
    4. I have shot unsupported, prone with bags, and bench.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Ya sig, thats direction I am kind of moving towards. Sell it and put it toward an SVT. Hopefully will have better luck with that.

Put it on here or GB. You should get a pretty penny for it. The VEPR is a lot better platform for the 54R round. PSLs are way too hit and miss. Sold mine for over $1650, but mine had over $400 in custom work from Fuller.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    check to see if your extractor is chipped or your spring is worn. Hand cycle a few round and see whats going on. If it's that, disassemble the bolt, put in a new extractor and spring and see if that helps. FPK Extractor Spring, Pin and Front Sight Set [03-RR-016] - $8.95 : TGI Online Store, Your Source For Military Surplus Parts and Accessories
    Or just a new bolt (be sure to headspace it)
    PARTS

Another possibility is your ejector is too short. You may have to weld some length to it and file it down to spec.

njbenja06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    The extractor seems to be in good condition. Thanks for the link for the spring. I think I will give that a go and cross my fingers that does it. Thanks for the good advice though from everyone. Will get the order in today for the springs and will give everyone an update ASAP

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Hopefully my tech type support questions has helped the questions were well thought out and typed. :laugh:

Let us know if it was your spring or not.
    :popcorn:

njbenja06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    Yea, everyones advice has helped. I talk to people at work but their knowledge is limited at best so it is nice to get good feedback for once haha. And yea I would like to replace to extractor too, didn't realize TGI had that as well.

njbenja06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    Got an extractor and springs in from TGI on Friday. Installed them on Friday night, no issues. Got out and did some shooting on Saturday. Worked like a charm. Had a FTE on the VERY first shot, after that no issues. Also got to shoot my new bulgarian 74 I had ordered before all the craziness. WoW! Going form a Tantal to this AK74 was a much bigger upgrade than I could have ever expected. ANYWAY, thank you all very much for the help. Will try and get a video or some pics the next time I get out.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Got an extractor and springs in from TGI on Friday. Installed them on Friday night, no issues. Got out and did some shooting on Saturday. Worked like a charm. Had a FTE on the VERY first shot, after that no issues. Also got to shoot my new bulgarian 74 I had ordered before all the craziness. WoW! Going form a Tantal to this AK74 was a much bigger upgrade than I could have ever expected. ANYWAY, thank you all very much for the help. Will try and get a video or some pics the next time I get out.

I knew it would work!!
    Good for you!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom