• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Whoa! Darn lucky you blow off some part of your anatomy. As soon as that replacement shows up, whip out a garlic necklace and a crucifix, and sell it off. It appears as though you aren't supposed to be shoot'n a Taurus.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Man that's crazy! I'm guessing Taurus cs will be on that quickly. I have a 745 millineum pro that has several thousand rounds through it without problems, so I've never dealt with cs, but I have heard many good things about them. Glad nobody was injured!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I put these on another forum I visit but I thought you guys might like to see these.

This happed to a new pistol on its 8th round. He was shooting WWB ammo.

photobucket-4083-1321651677616.jpg

I'm going to have to raise :bs: flag here a little bit.

First question, new to him, or a totally new gun, because the reason I'm asking is because that's a pretty darn dirty firearm there to be new from what I see.

Entire trigger guard inside is dirty, and if you look behind the trigger and inside the frame it looks dirty there also. The other pics showed what looked like the the bluing worn off the front of the slide groove, and anothe looked like there was wearing of the bluing inside the ejection port.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Looks to me like the gun either fired out of battery or the ammo was seriously overcharged. I will never again trust my defense on factory ammo after what I have seen over the years. Primers inserted backwards. Cases with no flash hole in them. Bullets pulling out in revolvers and setting back in autos. No powder in the case. I am so glad I took up handloading back in the 80s. The inside of that trigger guard doesn't look dirty, it looks as if somebody sanded or ground the mould flashings off. Sure that was a "NEW" gun? Polymer handgun frames are about the dumbest thing ever conceived. Considering how much pressure is about to be generated when a gun fires you want STEEL between that cartridge and your hand. Screw polymer or aluminum. When people started running .38 Supers in IPSC/USPSA comp back in the 80s they were blowing steel guns into pieces. We used to make steel plates to go under the grips to keep from having wood splinters blown into your hand when the gun blew. People learned how dumb that was pretty shortly.

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Agree with Drail here. That's just showing up under the camera's flash. Fit and finish on Tauruses isn't all the great to start with, so it could still be a new gun.

esrice, don't want to start a :poop: storm, but I've owned 6 new Taurus handguns and a used one, and never have I seen one come out of the box dirty.

I can go for sanding of it, but that would not have been from the factory, they would/should have used a heated edge to remove it.

Also there is another pic where it looks like there is some wear marks from a lot of movement on the back of the trigger where it would rotate back into the frame.

I'm really thinking this is a NEW to him firearm, and not a NIB firearm.

I'm thinking it was sold to him as a NIB when it was not, I think he needs to let us know the manufacturer date after he contacts Taurus.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I asked him about it and he said those were the first eight rounds through that gun but he has owed it for over a year. He said he didn't have anywhere to shoot it.

Outside of taking pictures I have never looked at the gun.

As I said before he is not a gun guy so he might have bought it used and thought it was new. I really don't know. I am going to help him out with the warranty so I am sure I will know soon enough.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I reckon there's some pieces of the puzzle missing here. Someone has been tweaking on that gun. It might have been "deep throated" cause it wouldn't feed some obscure hollow points. About the only things that would cause that kind of damage are firing out of battery or a case head blowing from insufficient support or overcharged ammo.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    The gun was bought brand new by his parents as a Christmas gift last year. I had to show him how to load a mag so I am positive it has not been loaded, shot, or tampered with. He
    is just not the type to mess with guns like that.

It was just one of those freak things that happened. I would be happy to take any other pics you guys want to see.

The ammo was Winchester white box factory ammo. I was standing next to him and I heard nothing alarming about his SLOW fire eight shots.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The gun was bought brand new by his parents as a Christmas gift last year. I had to show him how to load a mag so I am positive it has not been loaded, shot, or tampered with. He
    is just not the type to mess with guns like that.

It was just one of those freak things that happened. I would be happy to take any other pics you guys want to see.

The ammo was Winchester white box factory ammo. I was standing next to him and I heard nothing alarming about his SLOW fire eight shots.

Below is a pic of my 2 year old Taurus 709, it was not cleaned after it's last shooting over 4 months ago and I have never cleaned the frame, only the slide and barrel, you can clearly see inside the trigger area that is way cleaner than his supposedly NEW firearm.

2011-11-19_16-41-31_997.jpg

As I stated before, looking below at the view inside his frame in the trigger area is way too dirty to only been fired 8 rounds. While his parents bought it, and they was told it was a NIB firearm, I'm going to say this was not the case and was a used firearm sold as a NIB one.

photobucket-4083-1321651677616.jpg

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I cannot say one way or the other. I know if it had 8 rounds or 800,000 it should not have broken like it did.

I will go get the gun this week and field strip it myself to see what it really looks like. I get the impression he wants me to handle dealing with Taurus anyway.

Top Bottom