• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Ok so I am aware that as of July 1st last year several laws went into efect in Indiana making it easier to carry firearms in public places. among those places was listed public transportation. From time to time (usually when gas prices jump or i just feel like taking a ride) I will ride on South Bend Transpo and I have noticed that on a number of their buses they still have the old "No guns allowed" signs up. Are they able to do this? and can someone give me a link to the applicable gun laws so I can be sure to have all the correct information.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    "No gun" signs basically mean "ignore this sign"

this is their policy, not law. They may ask you to leave, in which case you must leave or face criminal trespassing charges.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    "No gun" signs basically mean "ignore this sign"

this is their policy, not law. They may ask you to leave, in which case you must leave or face criminal trespassing charges.

It does make a difference in this situation though. As Stschil pointed out, it is going to depend on wether the busses are truely public owned & operated or private. The difference being that if Private, yes the sign is mere policy, but the sign is allowed to be there and they can ask you to leave the bus.

But

If the public transport service is owned and operated by the city/county then the signage is illegal and must be removed.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Isn't TRANSPRO a government agency?

TRANSPO | General Information | TRANSPO History
    In 1966 Mayor Lloyd Allen began plans for the City of South Bend to acquire the bus system. On January 1, 1968, the first bus under municipal ownership signified the transition from the privately-owned company to the formation of the South Bend Public Transportation Corporation (SBPTC).

Edit:
    Yep, TRANSPRO is a municipal corporation:
    Municode
    Sec. 15-65. - South Bend Public Transportation Corporation created.

There is created a municipal corporation known as "South Bend Public Transportation Corporation" for the purpose of acquiring the mass transportation system of Northern Indiana Transit, Inc., pursuant to the authority contained in the Acts of the Indiana General Assembly for 1965, Chapter 337.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    It does make a difference in this situation though. As Stschil pointed out, it is going to depend on wether the busses are truely public owned & operated or private. The difference being that if Private, yes the sign is mere policy, but the sign is allowed to be there and they can ask you to leave the bus.

But

If the public transport service is owned and operated by the city/county then the signage is illegal and must be removed.

thank you for the correction, however at the base of it, my statement is still true, the sign holds no force of law (anymore), but you are quite right the sign must be removed.

Top Bottom