• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    How do the Pumas compare in quality to say a Ruger or Marlin 44 mag rifle? I am still considering a handi rifle but really would prefer to have a quicker follow up shot.....otherwise, I would just take the muzzleloader.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    From all my reading : Marlin > Ruger >> Puma
    Needless to say I own a Marlin lever

Last edited:

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I think all 3 are fine rifles. I am a bit biased as I have a Marlin and have never owned a Rossi or Ruger in .44. If you intend to do a scope mount I believe the Marlin will be a better fit in the levergun dept. The bolt gun that Ruger makes in .44 would be an awesome all weather gun.

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    Does it shoot the lighter bullets better than the heavier ones? I plan on using this as a close quarters or brush gun. Probably will not go with a scope to start with anyway. Do you reload or shoot factory loads?

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Does it shoot the lighter bullets better than the heavier ones? I plan on using this as a close quarters or brush gun. Probably will not go with a scope to start with anyway. Do you reload or shoot factory loads?

I have only shot 240 gr boolits out of it so I cannot say one way or the other. I do reload.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I have had my blued .44 Rossi for about 8 or 10 years. I have only shot 240 grain JHP and LSWC through it. Both group well and it is very reliable. Even with .44 specials.
    As stated above, If you want to mount a scope on one, get the ruger or Marlin. I avoided the Marlins at the time because they mostly had microgroove rifling. Didn't want to spend hours scrubbing lead out of the first 2 inches of barrel.....John

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have owned a Marlin 1894 44 and hunted with it for a few years, never was as accurate or fit me well as I'd like, I bought the puma scout model, better accuracy and with the scope out front and the cheekpeice if fit much better and used it for a few years hunting and it did ok but then I came across the 77/44 and it was everything I wanted, it fit me better and accuracy was much better. For pure hunting the 77/44 if you care about looks probably the marlin but I"m a hunter not a collector.

I would not think of ever going back to the levers, I can run the bolt on the 77/44 as fast as I can run the lever, the scope fits better on the bolt gun.

I run a burris fastfire2 on my 77/44 and love it, I put down several deer with the setup and can't say anything more

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have shot the Ruger and own the Marlin. I like the marlin over the Ruger because I had issues with racking the bolt and accuracy. I could kill a deer @ 100 yds. with both the Ruger and Marlin ,but I was about 1 1/2 inches better with the Marlin. I shoot Reloads with 240 grn. Hornady XTP's @ about 1600fps at the muzzle.

Top Bottom