• ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I bought a PF-9 at the show today.

Most of the ones I looked at, the slide was "blue", but it was shiny black and much different shade than the black frame. Also they all looked slightly worn even though NIB.

The one I got has a flat/matte black slide that does not reflect at all and is about the same color as the frame.

I wondered if it was a parkerized model, but the case says "blue" and the price reflected the price of a blued one.

Do all "blues" look the same?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    All bluing is not equal, and the process used in addition to the exact brand/type of blue can make a difference. I don't own a Kel-Tec, but I have handled several, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they varied widely in the quality of the finish from batch to batch.

Not knocking the Kel Tecs, they're fine functioning firearms, just slightly rough around the edges. Maybe if you post pictures that would help.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Most were priced at $269 or $279. One guy came down to $250. Then I found this one at Indy Trading Post that was marked $249 and it had the belt clip on it. He came down to $235. So I might have overpaid by $10 or so but I'm happy.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    ..I don't own a Kel-Tec, but I have handled several, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they varied widely in the quality of the finish from batch to batch....

Kel-Tec must also be sloppy in other aspects, like shipping the proper firearm to the proper customer. I ordered a blued slide version some weeks ago, but when I picked it up at the dealer, the box was factory labeled "parkerized." Sure enough, there was an even coating with a distinct greyish tint, very different from the somewhat blotchy bluing I expected.

Looked parkerized to me, but paid blued slide price. Lucky I guess. (Maybe the dealer was sloppy in this case, but I'm not calling him back. I'm keeping it.)

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I guess I need to see a "parkerized" slide, but I too am keeping this one. Looks much better than the shiny blotchy blue on all of the others at the show.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    My guess is you have a parkerized slide. It is a more durable and in my opinion better looking than the blued Kel-tec coating.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I found pictures of both from a online reseller. Their parkerized slide was lighter in color than the frame. Their picture of the blued slide showed the slide darker in color than the frame. Keep in mind we're talking various shades of black here.

My frame is slightly lighter in color than the frame. I guess I got what I wanted at the price of a blued one...

Top Bottom