• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    A customer with a Glock 23 gen 4 .40 just had the back of the cartridge blow out causing a lot of damage to the gun. I called the ammunition manufacturer who blamed it on glock especially the glock 23 .40 model. Saying this is quite common with this gun. I have never heard of this.

Before I start getting very irate at this manufacturer has anyone else heard of this problem with the glock?

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    wow that is crazy. I haven't heard that, but if it is true that Gen 4 is starting to get ugly for Glock. I have a 17 with ejection issues and waiting for a new spring, but I know of a couple of people with the 23 and 0 issues.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I would call Glock customer service.. I'm sure they will be able to look at it and tell you what went wrong and if it's their issue (which I doubt) they will take care of it at no cost.
    GLOCK, Inc.
    6000 Highlands Parkway
    Smyrna, GA 30082
    U.S.A.
    Tel.: +1 770 - 432 1202

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    *Disclaimer - I carry a Glock 23 daily, and have fired thousands of rounds of reloads without any problems. YMMV*

If you do a search of the web, you will find thousands of articles about the famous Glock Kaboom. The biggest culprit in the Kaboom are the Glocks chambered in .40, especially the 23. The problem is that the case is not fully supported in the chamber (which is why Glock will eat just about any kind of ammo). Combine that with the relatively high pressure of the .40 round, and you risk a potential catastrophe. Here are some examples of what can happen to the case.

r2.jpg

glock-brass.jpg

As to whether it is an issue with the ammo, or a problem with Glock, I'm not sure if we can answer your question without actually looking at the gun. Glock will recommend that you NEVER use reloads in your Glock because a slightly overpressured cartridge can easily cause the famous Kaboom. It would be difficult to prove that the manufacturer loaded the round incorrectly once that round has been fired. Another consideration would be whether the manufacturer used new unfired brass to load their ammo, or if they used once fired brass.

Bottom line, we would need more info to decide what actually caused the malfunction.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    *Disclaimer - I carry a Glock 23 daily, and have fired thousands of rounds of reloads without any problems. YMMV*

If you do a search of the web, you will find thousands of articles about the famous Glock Kaboom. The biggest culprit in the Kaboom are the Glocks chambered in .40, especially the 23. The problem is that the case is not fully supported in the chamber (which is why Glock will eat just about any kind of ammo). QUOTE]

so you're saying that they machine their barrels with a very "loose" tolerance in the chamber?? I'm not a big glock fan by any means....but I've had two g23's and never had such an issue...and I find it hard to believe with as many "die hard glock nuts" there are..I'm sure this would be a "popular" bit of news if it were common

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Here is the difference between supported vs. unsupported chambers. The barrel on the right is the Glock barrel.

lunapic_131553115041473_9.gif

The unsupported barrel can lead to this:

kb1.jpg

This is usually only a problem when reloads are used, as the already fired brass may be weak. Kabooms do not usually occur with factory loads, although it has been known to happen. As far as it being a "popular" bit of news...it has been well documented throughout the interwebz, as well as just about every single firearms forum. Most Glock owners will never experience this, but it does happen.

MiCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   1
    Sep 1, 2011
    Camby, IN
    Here is the difference between supported vs. unsupported chambers. The barrel on the right is the Glock barrel.

lunapic_131553115041473_9.gif

The unsupported barrel can lead to this:

kb1.jpg

This is usually only a problem when reloads are used, as the already fired brass may be weak. Kabooms do not usually occur with factory loads, although it has been known to happen. As far as it being a "popular" bit of news...it has been well documented throughout the interwebz, as well as just about every single firearms forum. Most Glock owners will never experience this, but it does happen.

Great pix and very imformative.

Top Bottom