• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    This weekend I will be attending my first gun show in Elkhart. I plan to buy some parts to start building an AR.

I do not have a License to carry yet....

How does the gun show seller (or a private seller for that matter) know that I am qualified to purchase a gun?

Will they do a background check like the the locale gun shop did when I bought my pistol there? Or... do you basically needs some sort of identification that says Im qualified to purchase a gun?

I've seen the classified ads here and see that some sellers want to see your state ID and your LTCH (which I am assuming stands for License to Carry).... is a LTCH a requirement for purchasing from a private seller?

Thanks

-mike

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If buying a firearm from a dealer, a Form 4473 is required. This info is phoned into the NICS / FBI folks for an instant background check. On an AR rifle, only the receiver is considered to be "the firearm".

Private sales are a whole other ball game. In Indiana, a proper person is allowed to sell a firearm to another proper person. Different wording: Allowed to sell to anyone over 18 years old who they do not know/suspect to be an improper person.

Folks here on INGO asking to see an IN DL and/or LTCH are asking for documentation that the person is an IN resident (required for a face to face sale) and the LTCH just as a little itty bitty teeny tiny bit of reassurance that the person isn't somehow disqualified.

Note: No documentation is required to be presented during a face to face sale. And with the extreme ease at which an IN LTCH could be spoofed / faked / counterfeited, someone just flashing a pink paper honestly isn't all that much assurance in the real world. (Only way to determine validity would be to call the ISP firearms division and inquire...don't know that individuals can do that)

But it often makes the seller feel better if a buyer has a pink paper.

-J-

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Building an AR, the only part that requires a 4473/nics is the lower receiver, or any assembly that includes one. That itself is considered to be a firearm. The whole rest of it is not considered a firearm legally, so you can buy them all day, fill a truck up with parts, whatever. Interestingly, you can buy lowers that are incomplete, and if you have the machinery, you can complete them for your own use with no 4473/nics.

Top Bottom