• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Yesterday I read a post on another forum warning people against shooting a box of 9mm ammo that was left at a range in KY. Wise advice, of course, but the reasoning was that this ammo was 9 major ammo. But then some other USPSA shooters said that 9mm major ammo could be safely shot in ANY modern 9mm gun.

Is that true? Doesn't seem right to me, but that's why I'm asking some folks here that might know.

I don't plan to try it, just curious:)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I don't shoot 9maj, but some perspective....

quick google shows:
    9mm NATO is a 124gr bullet at ~1200 fps, or about 149 PF
    9mm +P isn't standardized, but a corbon +p 125gr bullet at 1250 fps for example is 156 PF.
    Buffalo 9mm +P+ has a 124 gr bullet at 1300 fps, or 161 PF
    (data from http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm.php)

So considering some guns aren't considered "safe" for shooting +p, I would say it's bad blanket advise to say that it's ok to shoot 170 PF loads through just any production 9mm ...

might be ok in some guns, might just be hard on other guns. might result in head separation and shrapnel on yet other guns.......

some folks load their 9maj very long, so they might not even chamber in some production guns if loaded long and the bullet hits the rifling (and may not fit in some production gun mags)... scariest scenario: bullet hits rifling, sets back into case when it tries to chamber, and pressures really spike....

:twocents:

-rvb

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    That's sort of what I was thinking too, Ryan. I've seen open Glocks and M&Ps, but they all had ramped barrels and so forth. I just don't think I'd be froggy enough to try and light one off in a production gun/barrel.

Thanks for the input.

BROBERTS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Warsaw IN.
    My 9 major is going out at 1400 fps at the last state match. With true Blue the primers are flat. Other powders not so bad. I would not do it.

Top Bottom