• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have watched a couple of you shoot at various events and have seen everyone use a standard OWB holster. Have any of you used or are considering the use of this Safari holster?

Model 013 Competition Holster System | Safariland™

I wonder if it's a good investment and if a "newbie" should purchase this equipment. Oh yeah, the video in the link is really cool. :draw:

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    This holster would be suitable for use in USPSA limited or open division. I've seen several shooters using them, but haven't tried them myself.

IMO - a speed holster really isn't going to make a difference in your scores unless you're already a really good shooter (like, M or GM). But - they sure do look cool. I have one, even though I don't shoot worth a crap. It definitely wasn't a practical purchase.

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    As m_d pointed out, those holsters are only legal in certain divisions in USPSA.

I use a CRSpeed rig for Limited division.

You need to figure out what division you want to shoot in, then look at the many holster options on the market.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I shoot a CR Speed too. The Safariland 013 isn't made for my gun - I shoot a glock 24 or 35, depending on my mood.

I've been wanting to try a Ghost holster. The main advantage to the Ghost, as I see it, is that it would be unnecessary to readjust the barrel support for differing barrel lengths because, well, there is no barrel support on a Ghost. The gun is supported only by the trigger guard.

FYI - I broke the barrel support on my CR Speed after one year of use and had to get an aftermarket one.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If I was shooting a 1911, I would probably get something more like this:

Black Ice DOH :: Competition Series Products :: Blade-Tech Industries

This is the type of holster I was running last weekend, and with minimal modification (removing the spacer between the tek-lock and the holster) I believe it would be legal (please chime in if I'm wrong) for USPSA single stack division too. For competitions where its legal (i.e. steel challenge), I prefer the drop-offset (DOH) version. If not, it just takes a few minutes to remove the spacer, and you'd be legal for single stack in USPSA.

That being said, the limited and open class holsters look cool and work great for their intended use. The thing to keep in mind, is that while they retain the gun effectively during a match, they don't necessarily retain the gun well when you are running (ask me how I know). That's why in competitions where you have the pistol holstered and must run (i.e. 3 gun) guys typically use something more like the Blade Tech listed above.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have seen folks with a ghost holster bump the gun out of their holster while waiting for the beep and therefore they were DQ'ed. I like having the post at the bottom in order to keep the gun stable.

Safariland or CR speed are better than ghost in my opinion. The holster is not as big of a factor as your draw.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I use a Bianchi that is similar for Steel and Bianchi Cup, like the Safariland it is adjustable for length as well as retention tension. At the Bianchi Cup you have to jump over a stick one foot off the ground without touching your gun so good retention is a must.

Once you get use to them they are very fast holsters to use.

comp-1.jpg

Dad liked and used the CR Speed Model A Model A Holster

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I like the single stack and possibly the category for 10-round magazines.

Que
    You can't use the holster in your OP in SS as I think Doug said. You would be able to use it in L10,I think. I don't have my rule book with me in Ireland :)
    What do you have now?What ever it is ,as long as it covers the trigger guard and you can reholster safely one handed, it should be fine.
    I started with the cheapest fobus holster and mag pouches bbecause they were all I could find the day before the match.
    Have fun and start looking at reloaders ,if you don't already have one. You will be making a lot of brass.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Que

Decide what division you want to shoot (sounds like SS and L10) then get gear that fits within the rules. I shoot SS most of the time and use a blade tech holster and comp-tac mag carriers.

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Chizzle (or anyone actually) - What exactly is the difference between the Blade-Tech's standard DOH and the Black Ice DOH? I look at their website and don't see a meaningful difference.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    If your going to alternate between SS and Limited 10, I suggest you get a BladeTech DOH Holster.

But when using it in SS you will need to remove the DOH hanger. That is the beauty of the BladeTech holster is its adaptbility.

In SS and L10, you will need to be able to carry at least 5 reloads, so you will need to order some mag carriers too. If I were shooting in SS I would use this mag carrier from Comp-tac, Magazine Pouches - products new home - The Beltfeed , and also a couple of single carriers, Magazine Pouches - products new home - Single Mag Pouches , or maybe one of the doubles, Magazine Pouches - products new home - Twin Mag Pouch .

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A Kydex OWB holster will give you more flexibility if you want to shoot Single Stack AND Limited-10. A KyTac Sooper Hooper is my preference for Kydex.

Safarland's 568 or 5188 would also be good choices. Be sure to get one with the paddle attachment because the belt attachment is bloody awful.

These routes will also make you legal for IDPA.

I have used a Safariland 012 Holster since 2001 and love it. Very solid and makes for very consistent draws and reholstering. The 013's attachment system is really cool if you move your gear around a lot. If not, go with the 012.

Top Bottom