• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    I am looking at two different transistors. Am I right in assuming the only difference that matters to me (using it as a switch to prevent dc burnout) is the C to E voltage allowable. These are the two data sheets 1 & 2.

I am trying to use a 5v dc source to run a 12-48vdc motor at a predictable (i.e. slower than max) speed. TIA

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You can definitely do that, but yeah, we need to know more. Then you get into heat sinking and all that. Do you need variable speed, or are you setting a fixed voltage?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh, and you'll want a reverse biased rectifier in parallel with the C-E connections. A motor is an inductive load, and upon interrupting the current you can get hella voltage spikes which will demise your transistor.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    That should be able to do the PWM, which is indeed the mode you would want for speed control. I always use MOSFETs for this kind of thing myself. Now, you said CD motor. What do you mean by CD motor? How many wires come out of it? This will only work for one with two wires. If it's some kind of brushless motor, you're into different circuitry.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh come on, if you have too much fun, your head will explode, then where would you be? PWM for speed control. Does it just need to go one direction? It's possible to do both :)

Top Bottom