• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I had my CM9 out again today. I really like the way it shoots. I still don't have quite 100 rounds through it yet and it is still flawless as far as function goes, but my question is...How much wear should I expect? I'm not really used to plastic guns. The frame has little plastic shavings on it were the metal slide drags on the plastic rails and at the very back of the frame, it just knocked a piece of plastic out. The peice that was knocked out had no function, it was just filler for cosmetic reasons. Just curious how long it will last if it keeps shaving plastic. :dunno:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have a PM9 and what I learned is that having plastic shavings is normal. Kahr builds to close tolerances and in some areas let the pistol do the finish work, which is why we all seem to have plastic shavings. It happens as the parts wear into each other and appears to be normal.

Kahr isn't the only one using an interference fit to allow a machine to wear into itself. When I worked for Pratt & Whitney Aircraft, some of our engines were designed with a slight negative tolerance during build so on initial start up the turbine blades would cut their own path into the seals, which after testing proved to give better seal, hence better airflow than if the parts were engineered with "proper" tolerance. It seems Kahr does the same with their pistols.

Just clean the shavings out after use, and eventually they will stop. I have to admit it is scary at first, but I now have several thousand rounds through my PM9, it is still tight as a drum, and still with me virtually everywhere I go.

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Pictures would be necessary to help with your question.Your question is not specifically for Kahr owners then, it is for CM9 owners. Or specifically for use that own Kahr’s line of guns that do not have their finishing steps done. CM and CW series.I have ~300rds thru my CM9 and it did "clean off" some plastic flashing from the molding process. This "knocked out piece" concerns me. A picture would be helpful.Parker

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    I have an old hk that has a lot of damage to some of the plastic, but it is still one of my best shooting pistols

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    This makes me feel better. I will see what I can do about pics later tonight when the wife gets home. The piece knocked out is very small, and I'm not too worried about it. I was more worried about the rails. Thanks.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    profile_male_large.jpg

Well...I thought I had the picture. Maybe tomorrow.

Thumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    West Side
    I carry a PM9 and they do have very tight tolerances. I saw some minor shavings along the mating surfaces between the slide and polymer portions during my break in period. Unless it is taking large gouges, or doesn't taper off, I wouldn't worry too much.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I do not think it is a big issue. Just be sure to continue to watch it closely, keep the gun sufficiently lubricated, and make sure you clean the gun (especially the shavings) after shooting it.

If you are worried about it, you can always send a message to Kahr customer service. I am sure they would be willing to talk to you about it.

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Owned a Kahr PM9 for about 5 years. Shot some 300 rounds through it. Others posters say they saw shavings on their weapons, but I did not see any plastic shavings on my Kahr so your and others comments come as a surprise to me. Seems like simple poor quality control on your weapon. I now have the Ruger LC9 and as with the PM9 I have not experienced any plastic being shaved off. My personal experience.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    My CM9 did similar shaving through the first 100 or so rounds. Mine has been trouble free for well over 1000 rounds now. They are really tight when new and even after 8 m onths and 1000+ rounds it is still tight. Great little gun.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I am well over 1,000 rounds on my CW9 and it runs as flawless as ever. I might replace the recoil spring when I get to 2K rounds.

Top Bottom