• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We've had the discussion repeatedly over carrying a handgun with one in the chamber. So, if your nightstand weapon of choice is an AR pattern rifle/handgun/selectfire/grenade launcher/etc do you keep it with on in the chamber?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have some in the truck if the situation ever calls for it. I have them stored in cruiser ready configuration.
    Home defense I have the rifles in a wall mount that uses the chamber.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    No. My go-to long guns are stored "cruiser ready", with a closed bolt on an empty chamber with a loaded mag.

Most long guns lack a firing-pin block-type drop safety. Many have free-floating firing pins. The last thing you want is to knock a loaded gun over, or, if it's stored in your vehicle, get in a wreck and have that thing discharge. Obviously it shouldn't, but crazy things happen under inertia when enough force is applied in the right direction.

It's also unattended, unlike my handgun which is on my person and under my constant control. I carry a handgun with the idea that I may need to react to an unexpected and immediate threat. If I have time to get to a long gun and retrieve it, odds are pretty good that I'll also have the time to chamber a round.

I also have kids and a dog...I don't leave loaded guns out and accessible.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    No. My go-to long guns are stored "cruiser ready", with a closed bolt on an empty chamber with a loaded mag.

Most long guns lack a firing-pin block-type drop safety. Many have free-floating firing pins. The last thing you want is to knock a loaded gun over, or, if it's stored in your vehicle, get in a wreck and have that thing discharge. Obviously it shouldn't, but crazy things happen under inertia when enough force is applied in the right direction.

It's also unattended, unlike my handgun which is on my person and under my constant control. I carry a handgun with the idea that I may need to react to an unexpected and immediate threat. If I have time to get to a long gun and retrieve it, odds are pretty good that I'll also have the time to chamber a round.

I wouldn't worry too much about the dog and the firearm. Mine haven't even figures out how to open the safe, let alone operate an AR.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

Pretty much...I never have anything chambered unless it's on my person...be it in the closet, in the safe, etc.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    IME,
    The AR platform is drop safe I have witnessed several hit the ground hard and not fire. No worries about drop safe same with the AK.

Most Shotguns are not drop safe so cruiser ready is appropriate.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I keep my shotgun with an empty chamber, because just racking the slide will scare a burglar away…. Says so on the interwebs..
    Seriously I keep it loaded, but chamber empty…. All my handguns on the other hand are loaded, and rounds are chambered.
    If I had an AR it would be loaded and an empty chamber, til needed, cause just the sound of a round being chambered will scare a burg.....ah...never mind...

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Handguns: loaded and chambered condition 1 if a safety applies

Rifles: bolt closed, full magazine seated, safety off , no round chambered

Shotguns: magazine tube full, one shell riding on the lifter as a ghost load for 7+1, safety off all you have to do is rack the bolt.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    We've had the discussion repeatedly over carrying a handgun with one in the chamber. So, if your nightstand weapon of choice is an AR pattern rifle/handgun/selectfire/grenade launcher/etc do you keep it with on in the chamber?
    All my carry guns, home defense pistol and rifle (AR) all have one in the chamber with loaded mags. I want every advantage should I ever need to use any of them.

Top Bottom