• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ricochet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Hey guys!

Got a brand new Sig 1911 full size, and love it. One issue, on reassembly....with the firing pin plunger completely flush with the frame and with my hand off the grip safety, the slide will not cross over the plunger.
    It's like it's raised up very slightly, and the only way to reassemble the pistol is to depress the plunger with a small screwdriver, allowing the slide to move over the plunger. The pistol functions correctly after assembly.

I called Sig to talk to a tech about it, and told him that I have never had a 1911 that required depressing the plunger to reassemble. He said this was
    normal for Sig pistols, and a common issue that does not affect reliability. Just want to see if other Sig owners have seen the same issue or if the tech is blowing smoke. ;)

Thanks!!

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Hey guys!

Got a brand new Sig 1911 full size, and love it. One issue, on reassembly....with the firing pin plunger completely flush with the frame and with my hand off the grip safety, the slide will not cross over the plunger.
    It's like it's raised up very slightly, and the only way to reassemble the pistol is to depress the plunger with a small screwdriver, allowing the slide to move over the plunger. The pistol functions correctly after assembly.

I called Sig to talk to a tech about it, and told him that I have never had a 1911 that required depressing the plunger to reassemble. He said this was
    normal for Sig pistols, and a common issue that does not affect reliability. Just want to see if other Sig owners have seen the same issue or if the tech is blowing smoke. ;)

Thanks!!

My Sig 1911 Desert does the exact same thing. It was almost as if there were a burn in the metal of the plunger that it is catching on.

Have you fired it at all? Mine smoothed out after a couple of hundered rounds through it. I was real close to taking a file to it and smothing it out a hair. But I don't know enough to do that confidently.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Mine does it too, was worse before a few hundred rounds.

My Sig is also STUPID tight on machined tolerances, and I have to cross my eyes at the perfect angle while singing Mary had a little lamb in E minor to get it to go back together.....but it does run, and drive tacks.

God bless
    -Shred

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Mine does it too, was worse before a few hundred rounds.

My Sig is also STUPID tight on machined tolerances, and I have to cross my eyes at the perfect angle while singing Mary had a little lamb in E minor to get it to go back together.....but it does run, and drive tacks.

This ^ is my experience, too^.

Ricochet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Thank you all for the insights!! I haven't shot mine yet, so we'll see how she runs after I
    put a few hundred rounds through. I do agree, seems like every 1911 I have owned before this one had a fair amount of "slop" in the construction, for example the barrel bushing would easily turn and come out. On the Sig, it almost feels like the barrel bushing is scraping as I turn it, even though it is well lubed....it's in there like an alabama tick :)

Top Bottom