• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a 10/22 with a 95 build date. I bought it already customized. From what I can tell, the trigger is still stock. The only component that looks aftermarket is the buffer. To get the rifle to feed 100% reliable, I have to use hyper velocity ammo. Such as velocitors or stingers. If I use standard velocity ammo, it jams on me 1-4 times a mag normally. Are there any suggestions? If I can not get it running 100%, then I'm thinking of selling it.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    What magazines are you using? Mine has trouble ejecting with butler creek mags but runs flawless with factory 10/22 mags.**

**This applies mostly to Federal Bulk ammo.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Sorry, I should have went into more detail. It's a problem with rounds jamming. When it does happen, the round with actually jam above the feed ramp. When using factory mags, it will happen usually 1 round per mag. When using 25 round Butler Creek mags, It will happen 2-3 times per mag. The mods that have been done.

Aftermarket buffer
    Butler Creek side folding stock
    UTG rail

When I bought it, the internals looked brand new. There where no scratches on the receiver from the action being cycled. It has been cleaned and lubed. I also field striped it and looked over everything. I could not see anything that would cause issues. It only happens when I use standard velocity ammo. I found that Federal Champion works the best. Stingers and velocitors run 100% without issue. I just can not see paying $6 for 50 rounds just to have it cycle 100% reliably.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Factory Ruger mags do tend to outperform all others; make sure whatever mags you use are cleaned first also. Personally, I've never had a problem with my rounds ejecting, but if I did, I'd do the Exact Edge also. If the problem is with feeding, check (and clean, if you haven't) your recoil spring; I'm wondering if maybe it's gotten gummed up with the mess of black paint some receivers seemed to have had their insides painted with, which tends to mix with cleaning solvents and the like and just make problems.

The other thought that comes to mind is that it might still be in the "break-in" phase and will perform better after a few hundred rounds.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Rounds jamming? Are those spent round or new rounds? Again, is it a FTE or FTF, that is a failure to eject or failure to feed.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Factory Ruger mags do tend to outperform all others; make sure whatever mags you use are cleaned first also. Personally, I've never had a problem with my rounds ejecting, but if I did, I'd do the Exact Edge also. If the problem is with feeding, check (and clean, if you haven't) your recoil spring; I'm wondering if maybe it's gotten gummed up with the mess of black paint some receivers seemed to have had their insides painted with, which tends to mix with cleaning solvents and the like and just make problems.

The other thought that comes to mind is that it might still be in the "break-in" phase and will perform better after a few hundred rounds.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

I have removed the bolt and disassembled the trigger group. Everyting was clean and in good working order.

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    FTF, I would suspect a problem with the mag, but from your description this isn't a problem with the first round feeding, so ......believe the standard velocity loads are just not giving you a consistent full "bolt stroke". "Short stroking"?

My 10/22 only runs consistently with CCI Mini Mags. Has since was new, approximately 6,000 rds later it still won't run on the cheaper bulk ammo.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    yes, FTF, if it feeds when you rack the slide, then it is likely a short stroke. Don't discount the mag issue just though. I forgot, does it do it with all mags even factory? If so, I would look at the recoil spring or the hammer spring. These only cost a few bucks each and likely were replaced causing your issue. My built 10/22 functioned stock with even subsonics which are very low power LR cartridges.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    yes, FTF, if it feeds when you rack the slide, then it is likely a short stroke. Don't discount the mag issue just though. I forgot, does it do it with all mags even factory? If so, I would look at the recoil spring or the hammer spring. These only cost a few bucks each and likely were replaced causing your issue. My built 10/22 functioned stock with even subsonics which are very low power LR cartridges.

Both factory mags and my Butler Creek mag have the same issue. With the factory mags, I normaly get 1 FTF per mag. With the 25 round Butler Creek mag, I normaly 3 FTF's per mag. The rifle itself looked brand new, even though it was built in 95. I'll run some more rounds through it, and see if it does not break it in. If not, I'll see about replacing the springs.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Take the buffer out. Not needed. This is my advice.

I have a drawer full of buffers for various rifles. I have come to the conclusion that if they were needed, the manufacturer would have put one in. Every one that I tried decreased the reliability of the rifle. Every malf was a FTF/shortstroke.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Bolt Buffer

I have 25 Ruger 10/22's. Each one of them has had the Steel bolt buffer replaced with a Urethane bolt buffer. I have never had any issues with reliability because of replacing them. I have had bolt issues, extractor issues and mag issues.
    I also use nothing but Federal bulk pack unless I am shooting for groups

Top Bottom