• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Have you had any problems with weak magazine springs? I have been having to rotate and the stretch the springs in my magazines. It's an issue with the mag I keep loaded in my pistol. Doing some research on the FN forum. I was told to buy springs for a Para Ordnance P-14/P-16, and trim them as needed. I'm going to give it a shot. I have 7 mags, so it's going to be around $50 for a pack of 10. I will update when I replace the springs. Just wanted to share my frustration and possible fix.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Seriously. Every FN pistol I have ever examined has been a pile of crap.

Buying springs from a different gun and trimming them?

Comon.

Get a real gun.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Seriously. Every FN pistol I have ever examined has been a pile of crap.

Buying springs from a different gun and trimming them?

Comon.

Get a real gun.

Really? I just laughed a little. I have almost 3,000 rounds through mine with no malfunctions, besides weak mag springs. I did not know weak mag springs made a gun junk. Wolf does not make mag springs for FN's. Everyone on the FN forum is giving me the same information. If it works, so be it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Hope you can get this problem worked out. I had an FNP45, but traded it for a G17 and have never looked back. I really liked the FNP, but there were almost zero aftermarket parts or even factory parts available.

Yeah, there are not many aftermarket parts available. The pistol has been very reliable, except for the weak mag springs. That's the only issue I have had. They are just not as mainstream as others.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Understand that you are effectively destroying the springs by stretching them.

Never, ever stretch magazine springs.

Either replace the spring or mag. Or as you have stated buy a different spring and trim to fit.

I know you are not "supposed" to stretch springs beyond the limits of what they are designed for. I have no issues after stretching them, as long as I don't keep them loaded in my pistol. It's the extra pressure of being loaded on a closed slide that is making them weak. Which tells me they where not hardened enough. I have ordered mag springs. I also contacted FN, which probably will not amount to anything.

Top Bottom