Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)

Gun Daddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    going to my first 3 gun competition on saturday...this is just going to be a learning day and not necessarily competitive for me

question is:
    I don't own a shotgun but i have narrowed my choice down to the mossberg jm 930 9 shot/22 inch or 10 shot/24 inch

Mossberg 930 JM Pro 12GA Shotgun 22vr Barrel 9 Shot Blue

MB 930 JM PRO SERIES 12GA Shotgun 10 Shot 24 Barrel Black

I prefer the shorter barrel but how is that one less round going to affect me in competition?

The one less round really comes down to how they have the 3 gun stage setup. Your initial walk through is going to help you formulate your strategy and that will be different when forming your plan at each stage at each match. At some point they will more than likely force you to reload so the extra round is nice. You can also buy a " match saver" to hold that extra round just outside of the chamber. Using the match saver you can simply drop the extra round in without coming out of the shooting stance. By know means am I a top gunner but just offering a few perspectives. We offer several of them on our website. See link below to get you started in the right direction.

Mossberg 930 JM Pro Series

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    going to my first 3 gun competition on saturday...this is just going to be a learning day and not necessarily competitive for me

question is:
    I don't own a shotgun but i have narrowed my choice down to the mossberg jm 930 9 shot/22 inch or 10 shot/24 inch

Mossberg 930 JM Pro 12GA Shotgun 22vr Barrel 9 Shot Blue

MB 930 JM PRO SERIES 12GA Shotgun 10 Shot 24 Barrel Black

I prefer the shorter barrel but how is that one less round going to affect me in competition?

Not much since starts are limited to 8rds. You can always get a nordic extension to add a rounds if you want. Will only effect how many rounds you can load after the buzzer. I have a JM930 in 24. I like it so far but you'll hear a lot of bad stories about it. I had to polish my latch to prevent double feeds. I've only shot it in 3 or so matches so not much time behind it.

Not sure if you've looked but a lot of people like Stoeger M3000 and M3K.

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    I believe the rules say you can start with 9 shells in the shotgun, except for open class. You can max out with either one. Go with the one you like. I'm relatively new to 3-gun, and I think the JM Pro is a good choice for a starter shotty. I broke mine in by doing the full cleaning that Jerry Miculek does on his YouTube page, then I ran about 20 full power slugs and 2 boxes of 7.5 shot high brass. Did another full breakdown and cleaning after that. Shot 3 matches with it after that with no issues. I'm still running full power shells until I get about 6 or 700 through it. Then I might start playing with some lighter loads to reduce recoil. Just watch your thumb on reloads. The lifter likes to grab your thumbnail... Good luck and welcome to 3 gun!!

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    My JM Pro has ran 100% (11 matches so far), but you have to keep it clean, the piston gets a lot of carbon build up. I prefer the 24" version. You can put the Nordic extension on either one to make it 12 plus 1, which seems to be what most shooters go with. I wish we could have matches in the middle of January! Have fun!

redhawk34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Google the Stoeger M3000 or M3K and either Patrick Kelley or Jesse Tischauser. Both have given a lot of insight on the Stoeger and preferred mods. Jesse has moved on to the Franchi Affinity now and has some feedback on it out there on the Internet.

Top Bottom