• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I was given some old ammo today, some .223 that looks fine to shoot and an old box of 30 Luger, 93 grain. It comes in what looks to be a very old box. It is a Remington Kleanbore Brand. It has about 40 rounds in it.

I think I was given it because I was talking about 7.62 x 25mm and the necked down cartridge.

Can anyone tell me what gun it was used for? I saw Luger but I thought that was a 9mm. This stuff is a necked down cartridge also.

I think it is a more collectible ammo than something I would shoot although it looks perfectly fine to shoot.

Any information would be appreciated,

thanks in advance.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There are also some HiPowers in .30 Luger, I believe.

And I KNOW that someone was selling an older Ruger pistol that had a .30Luger barrel and the 9mm barrel. Don't know the model of pistol, though.

You MIGHT be able to fire the .30 Luger in a pistol chambered for 7.62x25. Hopefully someone will be along to either confirm this or tell of dangers.

-J-

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    There are also some HiPowers in .30 Luger, I believe.

And I KNOW that someone was selling an older Ruger pistol that had a .30Luger barrel and the 9mm barrel. Don't know the model of pistol, though.

You MIGHT be able to fire the .30 Luger in a pistol chambered for 7.62x25. Hopefully someone will be along to either confirm this or tell of dangers.

-J-
    The case on the 7.65 luger is 21mm long and the case on the 7.62x25 is 25mm long...don't think that would work. I read the bullet diameters are the same. I have shot 7.62x25 in a 7.63 mauser with no ill effects. The bullet diameter on the 7.63 is .001 bigger but it didn't matter much to me because most of the rifling was gone anyway.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    30 luger

Yeah the 30 luger is shorter.....As can be seen I do not think they will work. On a good note, it seems the 7.62x25mm on the right is Chinese and steel core from what I can gather

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The case on the 7.65 luger is 21mm long and the case on the 7.62x25 is 25mm long...don't think that would work. I read the bullet diameters are the same. I have shot 7.62x25 in a 7.63 mauser with no ill effects. The bullet diameter on the 7.63 is .001 bigger but it didn't matter much to me because most of the rifling was gone anyway.

You're VERY lucky you didn't blow that 7.63Mauser (.30 Mauser) up shooting the Tok round in it! That's a much much higher pressure cartridge than either the .30 Luger or .30 Mauser.

Yeah the 30 luger is shorter.....As can be seen I do not think they will work. On a good note, it seems the 7.62x25mm on the right is Chinese and steel core from what I can gather

If a particular 7.62x25 firearm will feed the shorter cases, they should be safe to fire from a pressure standpoint. I'm not at all familiar with the actual bullet diameters; that would be a big area of concern.

I'm not saying that it is always the case that you can shoot the shorter stuff in a Tok-chambered gun, but I know that I've read somewhere that someone did it with no ill effects. Think of it as shooting .38 Special in a .357Magnum

-J-

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    If a particular 7.62x25 firearm will feed the shorter cases, they should be safe to fire from a pressure standpoint. I'm not at all familiar with the actual bullet diameters; that would be a big area of concern.

I'm not saying that it is always the case that you can shoot the shorter stuff in a Tok-chambered gun, but I know that I've read somewhere that someone did it with no ill effects. Think of it as shooting .38 Special in a .357Magnum

-J-

Hmm I will have to check into that......:yesway:, I doubt I wold shoot them though but would be nice to know I could.....

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    The 30 (7.65) Luger cartridge was the first cartridge that George Luger used in his famous pistol.
    It was also chambered in the P38 and the Beretta M951 as well as other "military" pistols intended to be sold on the Civilian Market.
    The thinking of the time was that Civilians didn't need handguns chambered in "large Military" calibers such as the 9 mm.
    Most WWI era Lugers are chambered in this cartridge.

Top Bottom