Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    If your planning on tumble lubing with alox then that mold is a good choice. If your going to use standard lube then I would recommend a bullet with a single wide lube groove. With a single wide lube groove you can pan lube or use a lube press.

Personally i've done the alox and couldn't totally get rid of all the leading but with a lube press or pan lubing I've never had near the trouble.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    If your planning on tumble lubing with alox then that mold is a good choice. If your going to use standard lube then I would recommend a bullet with a single wide lube groove. With a single wide lube groove you can pan lube or use a lube press.
    Personally i've done the alox and couldn't totally get rid of all the leading but with a lube press or pan lubing I've never had near the trouble.

I was told it was easier to use Lee Alox than the other method. Unless you can explain and convince me that its not much different, i would prolly rather have the single lube grove like MBC has, since i'm used to loading that kind.

So enlighten me!

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Using alox is alot less work I'll agree but I've found not to be the best results. The tumble lube style bullet you posted in your initial post is in my opinion only good for using alox. With a lube press your sizing the bullet which doesn't leave much of the grooves for standard lube once sized.

I prefer the single lube groove since I use a lube press plus the single groove holds more lube insuring better protection against the barrel leading. The trick here is using a good lube also. This method is more work but well worth the extra effort IMO.

If you don't have a press then pan lubing is a good method to lube the bullets. Search pan lubing on Youtube and you'll see how it's done. With pan lubing though, you'll still need to size the bullets.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    So what else extra do i need to do a single lube grove? I"m still not quite sold on it.

This is what i had in mind originally, however i do not like leading and if a different method of lubing bullets makes it lead less, i'm all for it....

Lee Production Pot Four Furnace 110 Volt - MidwayUSA

Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold TL452-230-2R 45 ACP, 45 Auto Rim, 45 Colt (Long Colt) (452 Diameter) 230 Grain Tumble Lube 2 Ogive Radius - MidwayUSA

Lee Commercial Bullet Mold Handles for 6-Cavity Lee Bullet Molds - MidwayUSA

Lee Alox Bullet Lube 4 oz Liquid - MidwayUSA

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I shoot a ton of the Lee TL bullets, but have had much better luck using a 50% Alox, 50% Johnsons Paste Wax mix, thinned with mineral spirits to the thickness similar to melted icecream.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Not to cloud the waters, and while I respect all the posters here (as they've probably been casting longer than I've been alive), I really doubt you're going to have lead problems with a 45acp round. I use alox on all my bullets straight out of the bottle and have minimal lead issues. There's more to leading problems than just lube. The real issue with alox to me is how the bullets pick up EVERYTHING from hair to dirt and so forth.

If you are looking to go fast and cheap, go with the tumble lube. If you don't mind more labor for the bullet, go pan lube. If you go with a single groove mold, plan to get a sizing die set-up for it as well. I've never had size issues with any tumble lube mold.

Edit: Lee's reloading book has a huge section on cast bullets. The guy has forgotten more about casting than I'll ever know. It would be a good read for little cash if you don't already have it.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Forgot to answer your other question. I know of no legal issues with doing bullets for a friend, especially if you are doing them at cost. I would just weigh them and clearly make their weight and size.

But your buddy should really just get a casting set-up and do his own. It'll pay off for him in the long run.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Not to cloud the waters, and while I respect all the posters here (as they've probably been casting longer than I've been alive), I really doubt you're going to have lead problems with a 45acp round. I use alox on all my bullets straight out of the bottle and have minimal lead issues. There's more to leading problems than just lube. The real issue with alox to me is how the bullets pick up EVERYTHING from hair to dirt and so forth.

If you are looking to go fast and cheap, go with the tumble lube. If you don't mind more labor for the bullet, go pan lube. If you go with a single groove mold, plan to get a sizing die set-up for it as well. I've never had size issues with any tumble lube mold.

Edit: Lee's reloading book has a huge section on cast bullets. The guy has forgotten more about casting than I'll ever know. It would be a good read for little cash if you don't already have it.

Would you be able to tumble the rounds after you have finished loading it to get the excess lube off the exposed bullet, so it does not pick up debree so easy?

mjb99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have just started using the 50/50 Alox and Johnsons Paste Wax and after it is dry it isnt sticky at all, and doesnt pick up things like the straight Alox does.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I use both tumble lube and traditional lubed bullets, they are different but both work well, in fact I used the tumbled lubed bullet in my .38 for NRA Action Pistol winning a good number of competitions with it, they are very accurate bullets.

To lube standard bullets you will need a sizer and unless you want a battle to get good lube distrabution you will need a way to heat it so the lube will flow well.

RCBS Lube-A-Matic 2 - MidwayUSA and Lyman Lubricator Heater 115 Volt - MidwayUSA

Honestly I would start with the tumble lube, cheaper and easier...very accurate to boot.

Top Bottom