• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Is it legal in Indiana to hunt rabbits and have a dog with you?

I did a quick search on the DNR website and have not found an answer.

Thanks,

Chuck

Willob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I spend considerable time every year after deer season rabbit hunting with dogs. I can assure you that it is legal. We hunt them with archery equipment most of the time.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Yes it is. Do not for get the hunter orange though.
    You can even hunt them at night if you wish, just don't use artificial light. Also there are no weapon restriction so you could use a 50 BMG if you want, not that I would recommend that though. I have used a .22 pistol or 20ga OU.
    Fried rabbit, mashed potatoes, green beans, biscuits and gravy is a meal that is hard to beat.
    Have fun.

Willob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I think there are rabbits on most public land, but not many. They get pounded hard the whole season. I know there are a few guys that hunt Atterbury, but I think it is tough going.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Actually, after reading the thread title, I was left wondering why a rabbit would take a dog hunting in the first place. :dunno: :D

LOL thats a much better way. Dog and Rabbit are best friends. They go hunting together. When out hunting they like to talk about the merits and down falls of 1911's vs glocks. Dog tends to feel the 1911 is the way to go, but rabbit thinks the glock is the better gun. Though they will never come to an agreement about that do however agree that highpoints are ugly and would never own one.

On the last hunting trip, Dog and rabbit were out hunting for squirrel. They both were carrying their EDC and both had .22 rifles. Dog's was passed down from generation to generation all the way back to Sgt. Shepard from Germany. However Rabbit recently picked his up brand new from the 1500, he likes to boast he got a great deal on it.

they were in the middle of that tired on conversation

Dog: "But they explode in your hand!"
    Rabbit: "thats hog wash! do you drive a car from a hundred years ago?! No! you get with the times and buy the new stuff!"

Then all of a sudden a loud thud behind them followed by several more by the time they turned around. Once turned around they were staring at, at least 50 very mad squirrels. They had their nuts in their hands and were ready to pound some ass. Dog and rabbit but jumped with fright. What were they going to do?! They had clubs that were made out of nuts and twigs, but dog and rabbit had rifles and pistols. Could they take all 50 ?

Tune in next week for the exciting conclusion of DOG and RABBIT

dog and rabbit brought to you by the writing mind of a bored tech support "worker"

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Rabbits and groundhogs should be put on the 'endangered species' list since coyotes moved into Indiana. For example how many rabbits do you see hit on the road today out "in the country"?....They are scarce critters now. Most of the good rabbit hunting is found in sub-divisions in the flower beds, and backyard gardens.

Willob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    The coyotes have definately put a dent in rabbits and groundhogs. There is an old railroad bed behind my house that I have hunted since I was a kid (40 yrs). Twenty years ago you could walk from the highway to the railroad bridge (app. 3/4 mile) and count 25-30 groundhog dens in March every year. Now you are lucky to see one or two and I don't actually think they are groundhogs. The rabbits used to be thick there and when you jumped one it wasn't long before he was down one of those groundhog holes. Now you are lucky to run 2 or 3 rabbits with a dog. The red fox have also disappeared as the coyotes took over. I have not seen a red fox in this area in over 20 years. On my little 7 acres next to my house I have let the briars and weeds grow and built numerous brushpiles for the rabbits. I can usually run 5 or 6 rabbits on my place with the dog. I think being close to the house with me and the dogs out a lot has kept the coyotes away from the rabbits some and allowed them to come back. The hawks and owls are another real problem. The thing I do not understand is how other parts of the country including Northern Indiana still have groundhogs when they also have coyotes.

Top Bottom