• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dwhizzle74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Does anyone else have a raging judge and what's your thoughts on it? Or if you have any thoughts about the 454 casull I don't know much about the round other than you could hunt about anything with it. Mines also the short barrel not the six inch it's mostly for home defense and to take to the range on weekends I'm just lookin for knowledge of the 454 and how everyone else likes this gun thanks!

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Does anyone else have a raging judge and what's your thoughts on it? Or if you have any thoughts about the 454 casull I don't know much about the round other than you could hunt about anything with it. Mines also the short barrel not the six inch it's mostly for home defense and to take to the range on weekends I'm just lookin for knowledge of the 454 and how everyone else likes this gun thanks!

It uses the most testosterone charged words in the language.... how could it be bad?

Raging
    Bodybuilding-Rage-Pics.jpg

Judge

Thou-Shalt-Not-Judge1.jpg

Magnum
    Capture_05042007_154449-1.jpg

dwordinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    I have a Freedom Arms 454 Casull and it is an impressive cartridge. I also have a Taurus Judge and I think Taurus provides a good value. It's not as nicely tooled as the Freedom Arms, and the action isn't as smooth and crisp, but it's not as expensive either.

You will lose some of the 454 Casull potential in the short barrel, but I still expect it to penetrate walls. Several of them. Consider using .45 colt for home defense.

Dwhizzle74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    So you think that I'm not getting all I can out of the casull with the short barrel? I figure I'd only be losing out on some range not power and right now I'm using five shot buck 410 because the 45 lc's I have are cowboy loads but I have hp casull's and would you have any websites I can do research on besides wikipedia?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .45 Colt "cowboy loads" are PLENTY for self defense, but will probably overpenetrate anyway, and until I see something that proves it to me otherwise, worlds better than 410 shotshells. For something better than cowboy loads look for Federal Champion 225gr SWC-HP ammunition.

.454 Casull is not for home defense. Period. Even from a short barrel.

Try this .454 Casull for starters, or just google it.

dwordinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    Generally, any caliber will perform better in a (reasonably) longer barrel. The length affects magnums (e.g. .454 Casull) more than standard calibers (e.g. 45Colt). Going from 6 inches to a 3 inch barrel will affect the .454 more than the .45, but a 3 inch .454 will still be more powerful and have a higher muzzle velocity than a 3 inch .45 Colt.

Home defense, like other situations, is full of compromises. You don't want the bullet to go through the wall into your kid's bedroom, but you want enough penetration to put the bad guy down, not just **** him off. I think buckshot is a good compromise. Each pellet individually has limited potency, but 4 or 5 of them hitting the bad guy's torso all at once may have a synergistic effect. I' no medical, ballistics, or wound expert, but I advise getting a few different types of ammo and patterning them to see what you like. My Taurus Judge scatters quickly and is definitely a short range weapon. You might try shooting into a couple layers of drywall also, just to see the penetration. Anything that doesn't go through at least a layer of drywall will not stop the bad guy. Anything that stops in the second layer may make you feel better about your family in the other room, but is still questionable for stopping power.

Some manufacturers are producing .410 ammo with the Judge in mind.
    http://www.winchester.com/Products/...upreme-elite/pdx1410/Pages/default.aspx?c=410
    Federal Premium - Buckshot Details
    Shotgun Ammunition - Home Defense Shotshell - Home Defense Loads
    Paraklese Technologies LLC

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I do not yet have the "Raging Judge", but I bought one of the original "Raging Bulls" when they first came out.

I'm no ballistics expert, but I'll tell you this much. After seeing what that .454 Casull round will do to a deer, I know for a fact that you do NOT want to consider it for a "home defense" round. I will guess, your average .454 round, even from a short barrel, will likely pass through your average HOUSE! Not just a couple of walls, but the entire HOUSE, if it doesn't hit something substantial to stop it.

I could EASILY see a .454 round passing cleanly through 5 or 6 walls and still have energy enough to kill!

I have literally thrown a deer off it's feet by hitting it broadside with a .454 HP.

BigBlock502

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have a Raging Bull and I think its a great gun for the money. The .454 round is a bit strong for home defense but just load your Raging Judge up with 4 .410 shotgun shells and then 2 .454 rounds. If the intruder lives through the 4 shotgun shells and tries to escape... then put two holes in the engine block with the .454 rounds! :)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a Raging Bull and I think its a great gun for the money. The .454 round is a bit strong for home defense but just load your Raging Judge up with 4 .410 shotgun shells and then 2 .454 rounds. If the intruder lives through the 4 shotgun shells and tries to escape... then put two holes in the engine block with the .454 rounds! :)

My Raging Bull only holds 5 rounds:dunno:

localone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I have the Alaskian super redhawk and enjoy the 45lc's..but My buddies and I did have to try the 454's and WOW i felt the concusion in my face when that thing went off....Very fun but NOTHING i would even consider shooting in my house UNLESS A BEAR BROKE IN

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    The Rock had an Alaskan Super Redhawk in his latest solo flick. It was conveniently tucked away in a vintage Camaro. That's enough proof for me. He even killed some folks with it. The only thing better would be if Chuck Norris had one.

Top Bottom