Ramifications of shooting a shooter like the AZ shooter...?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock19Dude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not trying to sound self-righteous or macho, but I'm not going to watch anyone unarmed get gunned down by some fool, and just stand around to let it happen if I can do something about it.

I agree!

On another note. An attorney that practices law here in IN for 26yrs had told us this in our class. These are not his exact words but this is the jist of it. If one of us was in this situation and we fired on the suspect/shooter and the bullet hits him/travels through him and say, hits an innocent bystander. The original suspect/shooter is held responsible by IN law. The suspect/shooter was the reason that anything like that would or did happen.

Obviously check with an attorney don't take my internet typings as law. I guess next time you can chat with an attorney, this would be something to ask. :patriot:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Looks like J covered the legalities.

These are the ramifications I would give to someone who stopped an active shooter:

istockphoto_3245555-gold-medal.jpg

steak%20dinner.jpg

handshake.jpg

I'm hungry, where's the loner turd? :D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I didn't read any of the storys about this, but my wife said people there did return fire. Is it true?

Not true. A 61 year old lady was able to grab the shooter's magazine (looks like shooter was trying to reload) and secured it. 2 men tackled the shooter to the ground and held him while LEOs arrived to arrest the shooter.

The shooter based on news reports only fired for 2 to 3 seconds his GLOCK 19.

I agree!

On another note. An attorney that practices law here in IN for 26yrs had told us this in our class. These are not his exact words but this is the jist of it. If one of us was in this situation and we fired on the suspect/shooter and the bullet hits him/travels through him and say, hits an innocent bystander. The original suspect/shooter is held responsible by IN law. The suspect/shooter was the reason that anything like that would or did happen.

Obviously check with an attorney don't take my internet typings as law. I guess next time you can chat with an attorney, this would be something to ask. :patriot:

Yes I have heard this as well in the Indiana Comprehensive Gun Course given around the Indy area.

As for the comments of you are no charged for CRIMINAL wrong-doing (ie. the shooting was justified) but you can be sued.

Yes you CAN be sued in civial court. Heck ANYONE can sue anyone in Indiana. I can sue you (the reader) for saying using my quoted text without my permission. Now the question is will the suit go forward in court or be tossed?

In a case like this the law says you can't be sued so the case MAY be tossed but then again maybe not. Depends on the ATTY of the other party and how he can word the case against you. You are most likely gonna have to hire an ATTY to get the sued dismissed or defend against it. So in either case you are going to have to hire an ATTY period to get the case dismissed. :faint:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Though I carry a handgun with me most everywhere I go, it was still good that they were able to tackle and hold this guy.
    Sure, somebody would've been justified and likely not charged if they'd shot this guy.
    But there's always the danger in a crowd that the bullet(s) could go through him and injure an innocent bystander.
    IF that would've happened here, the anti-gun crowd would be using it as "proof" that we shouldn't be allowed to carry because innocent people will be hurt when a handgun is used in a town setting.

This is a case where being SURE where that bullet is going to go is of PRIME importance, which isn't always easy in an adrenalin charged situation.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Not true. A 61 year old lady was able to grab the shooter's magazine (looks like shooter was trying to reload) and secured it. 2 men tackled the shooter to the ground and held him while LEOs arrived to arrest the shooter.

The shooter based on news reports only fired for 2 to 3 seconds his GLOCK 19.

Yes I have heard this as well in the Indiana Comprehensive Gun Course given around the Indy area.

As for the comments of you are no charged for CRIMINAL wrong-doing (ie. the shooting was justified) but you can be sued.

Yes you CAN be sued in civial court. Heck ANYONE can sue anyone in Indiana. I can sue you (the reader) for saying using my quoted text without my permission. Now the question is will the suit go forward in court or be tossed?

In a case like this the law says you can't be sued so the case MAY be tossed but then again maybe not. Depends on the ATTY of the other party and how he can word the case against you. You are most likely gonna have to hire an ATTY to get the sued dismissed or defend against it. So in either case you are going to have to hire an ATTY period to get the case dismissed. :faint:

Two words: Liability insurance

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    News reported described Jared Lee Loughner in court today with a bump on his head. Works for me.

Top Bottom