• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    The first item is an extremely cheap item to you can get at any hardware store. It is used to put on pipes to insulate them. I use sections of it to tuck under the metal lip at the base of the doorway of my safe to prevent dinging my WW2 long guns when I take them out of the safe. It comes with a slit that runs the length of the tubular shaped piece that works great to "snap" it around the metal portion of a barrel when placing 2 long guns in a larger hard case. This prevents them from moving a little and making rub marks. In the pic below I just happen to have a piece sitting on my desk when I went to put my TLR-1s light in my range bag so I used it to pad the light.
    DSC02345.jpg

DSC02344.jpg

DSC02343.jpg

Second is a water bottle. I got this idea from an oral surgeon I used years ago. He has since retired but was an avid hiker and camper. The bottle in the pic is one of my original ones and is about 10 years old. They are virtually indestructible, made of consumption safe polypropylene. They have a seal made of silicone (or at least it feels like it, I'm not actually sure) that is situated such that the part you would drink from stays clean from debre. It also features a hanging ring originally designed to hang it from an IV pole. I've had crazy ideas as to what I could re-purpose that for but haven't actually done anything with it yet. I was down to my last one recently so contacted the oral surgery practice and now stop by about once a week to pick up 3 or 4 of these. Not only are they the most practical and my favorite hiking/range bag water bottles but they are FREE!
    DSC02348.jpg

DSC02346.jpg

DSC02347.jpg

They fit perfectly in about every backpack and BOB I've ever owned. you can see it in the LAPG Bail out bag in the corner of this pic.
    DSC02345.jpg

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    FYI, The pipe wrap can hold moisture against the barrel. I have an old lever action that has a pattern in the blueing that looks like alligator skin from the same pipe wrap. I don't know if the guys over-oiled it, or was moisture, but the gun will have scales forever.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    If you could find some tubing and connectors that would hook up to that water bottle, then you've got yourself a gravity fed camping shower!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    FYI, The pipe wrap can hold moisture against the barrel. I have an old lever action that has a pattern in the blueing that looks like alligator skin from the same pipe wrap. I don't know if the guys over-oiled it, or was moisture, but the gun will have scales forever.
    No question, I've seen it mentioned several times that this type of material as well as the synthetic foam that is the padding in the hard cases can ratain moisture. They are not to be used as any type of long term (or medium term) storage but rather to keep them safe from bumps and scratches while in transit. The piece I use in the safe is not in contact with any firearms, a gun would have to be resting on the door to have chronic contact with it.
    Thanks for pointing that out.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If you could find some tubing and connectors that would hook up to that water bottle, then you've got yourself a gravity fed camping shower!
    Actually I have a funnel I found in my garage that has the exact same threads. Amazon.com: Hopkins FloTool 10704 Spill Saver Measu-Funnel: Automotive
    I can thread the tube from the funnel onto the bottle as if it were the cap and I basically have just that. I use it to flush my WW2 rifles with water when I've used corrosive ammo in them. Any water would work but when I hook the hose up to it I can get the water in without it getting anything else wet. (I have a dedicated bottle for that since I don't know where that funnel has been:D.)

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I noticed you conveniently carry a shotglass with you whenever you take your "water" bottle with you.

Fascinating.

But really, wish I'd thought of the foam 3 days ago when my rifle tore up my shotgun :facepalm:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I noticed you conveniently carry a shotglass with you whenever you take your "water" bottle with you.

Fascinating.

But really, wish I'd thought of the foam 3 days ago when my rifle tore up my shotgun :facepalm:
    I can assure you the bottle and the cap are not at all harmed by alcohol. Or at least, I can say, they are not effected by Jameson Whiskey.:D

Top Bottom