• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Similar, I agree. However, I am hard on gear and in my inspection of the Midway bag it is my conclusion that it will not survive me, or the airline baggage handlers.:D

And THAT would be the difference between the Midway bag and the "identical" 5.11 bag. The 5.11 bag will easily survive both you and the airlines.

5.11 bags are all incredibly sturdy. After buying their range bag, I had to buy one of their backpacks and some of their toiletry bags that I use for med kits. The backpack is almost built too tough for just regular use. My wife and I keep beating the heck out of it thinking it will soften up, but its still like having a hardsided case.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I am considering the 5.11 range bag. It is not cheap ($100 at the Indy 1500), but like father says "buy it right, pay once".:D

You won't be disappointed with it... and your father is right. Everything cheap I have ever bought has just ended up costing me money. Sometimes its a good idea to buy cheap the first round to make sure its something that you are going to use enough to justify buying the good stuff. I doubt a range bag is one of those things.

The only possible flaw I found with the 5.11 bag is that the rings for the shoulder strap aren't attached to a strap that goes all the way around the bag. So it is relying on stitching to hold it. The bag is big, so it tends to get heavy since most people put more things in than they need. The handles go all the way around, so there is no stitching to fail. I haven't had a problem with mine, but that is probably going to be the first thing that fails.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Everything cheap I have ever bought has just ended up costing me money. Sometimes its a good idea to buy cheap the first round to make sure its something that you are going to use enough to justify buying the good stuff.

Depends on what you want to do. If you only need a bag from the trunk of the car to the firing line, yeah, why pay the extra dough on the 5.11?

However, since I travel a lot for gun school (several flights a year) and am continually pulling it out of rental cars, checking into plane baggage, and collapsing on top of it in hotel rooms and getting blood, sweat and tears on it, I need something I can beat with two framing hammers and it will pull through.

The only possible flaw I found with the 5.11 bag is that the rings for the shoulder strap aren't attached to a strap that goes all the way around the bag.

I shall re-examine that potential weak point. The lady that does my suits can also do heavy duty stitching. I may reinforce it or use a different strap, like a padded computer case as I have on my briefcase.

The problem with range bags, like most gear in the gun world, is that it is not designed for active shooters (as economy must demand).

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I shall re-examine that potential weak point. The lady that does my suits can also do heavy duty stitching. I may reinforce it or use a different strap, like a padded computer case as I have on my briefcase.

The problem with range bags, like most gear in the gun world, is that it is not designed for active shooters (as economy must demand).

I am not saying it WILL fail. It is well stitched on there. I just wanted to point out that the strap relies on being stitched to the bag rather than wrapping around it like the handles do.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Right now, I'm using an old web gear butt pack for my range bag. It holds what I need right now, but it's not the ideal solution. I'm hoping that will change soon.

However, even if I do get a good range bag to carry everything, I'll still use the old Army ammo can I'm using now to carry my ammo. It was my grandfather's.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Depends on what you want to do. If you only need a bag from the trunk of the car to the firing line, yeah, why pay the extra dough on the 5.11?

However, since I travel a lot for gun school (several flights a year) and am continually pulling it out of rental cars, checking into plane baggage, and collapsing on top of it in hotel rooms and getting blood, sweat and tears on it, I need something I can beat with two framing hammers and it will pull through.

This is the next one I am looking at buying.

Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger Shoulder Sling Tactical Messenger Gear Bag - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR Tactical Nylon Gear for Military, Law Enforcement, Tactical Concealed Carry; Tailored to Perform Tactical

Top Bottom