• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Went over to our farm this morning to shoot the .300 Win Mag to see how it does. Its a remington 770( yes I know its a cheap remington, but I like it, and for what I paid for the rifle it does all I need it to do without spending a ton of money) This is my first magnum caliber rifle and yes it kicks like a mule and yes it was fun to shoot,lol. Me and my brother made a 250yd range to shoot on. I will say the limiting factor to my rifle is by far the scope. Its a crappy one that came with the rifle. The reasoning by not such tight groups. But all in all, for the first time shooting this rifle im pretty pleased with it. I used Winchester 150gr Power-Point. But did have a few tight groups noted by the arrows. I just need some more practice and a better scope. :rockwoot:

this.jpg

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Glad you enjoyed shooting your rifle. Those 770's are capable of shooting tight groups with good ammo - if you don't handload, you'll certainly find *something* that'll hold consistently under an inch and a half.

I've got a range weekend planned with some very stout 7mm magnum loads in a very light gun. Looking forward to the sore shoulder.

As for optics - package gun scopes are usually the first thing that gets torn off - but it should survive your ammo testing.

I've never knocked the 770's for what they are - and since you can't buy an ADL Synthetic anymore, that's your only Remington offering at that price point. Just because you could "do better" doesn't mean you need to.

If you do decide to handload, you can go "wild or mild" with pretty good results. lots of good powders out there.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    when i first got my .300 it killed my shoulder. After many shots you get use to it though. hell just last wwek i got done shooting 40 rounds through it and only had to drin a little...i would recommend reloading you can get some reall nice "*****" loads that are good out to 400 yards.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am glad you like your new rifle. There certainly is no reason to think the 770 is inferior in any way.

I wouldn't be too quick to blame what you consider poor groups to be the fault of the scope. I hope you are not developing a flinch.

You guys are a lot tougher than me. If you like shooting the thumpers off a bench, I commend you. I can't do it, I need a sling so my left hand takes up most of the mule kick.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I like the rifle its not bad at all for the price and shoots pretty good. I think I just
    need some practice behind it, so as to not develope a flinch ( that may have been the problem). I may have to try some Hornady, they make some good stuff! But Im very pleased with the rifle, for my first magnum bench rifle its alot of fun and will do what I need it to do for now.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    when i first got my .300 it killed my shoulder. After many shots you get use to it though. hell just last wwek i got done shooting 40 rounds through it and only had to drin a little...i would recommend reloading you can get some reall nice "*****" loads that are good out to 400 yards.

I made sure I keep all my spenr brass, so I can eventually either have it reloaded or I get into doing it myself.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I had a 770 back in the day in 22-250, very accurate, my friend I sold it to still has it. I bought mine brand new with scope for around 150.00...killed alot of groundhogs. You got a great rifle.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    Just picked up a browning a bolt medallion 300 win mag with a leupold 4x12x40 and dual dovetail rings. Can't wait to see what it can do. Free floating barrel and custom limb saver ohhhhhh who knows what I can do with this.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just picked up a browning a bolt medallion 300 win mag with a leupold 4x12x40 and dual dovetail rings. Can't wait to see what it can do. Free floating barrel and custom limb saver ohhhhhh who knows what I can do with this.

Yea that sounds like a real nice rifle! Im thinking about maybe looking to float the barrel in mine over the weekend and see what I can come up with. Maybe that and bed the stock every little bit helps.:D

Top Bottom