• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I had an issue of not being able to comfortably carry all my rifles when I wanted to go to the range. I have a Checy Colorado so fitting my stuff in the cab is not really an option (unless I wanted to lay a few in the floor of the extended cab, still at that its not enough room to put them all) , especially if a buddy is riding shotgun. So I had to devise a way of carrying rifles in a way that would not let them just lay on the floor. I didnt want my scopes getting battered around so I came up with a carrier to slide into the bed (see pic). Made it out of a 2x6, a 2x4, some furring strips, and a little velcro to secure things down. I think it will work quite nicley, just thought id post incase anyone else has the same problem with the size of the compact trucks.

20120604180407.jpg

Bahrutile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    That's pretty awesome, is the whole thing locked down to the bed? Maybe some styrofoam on the barrel side to keep the rifle secure on that end?

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I will say that you've done a great job coming up with a solution - and - it appears that you built your contraption very well. So kudos to that. :yesway:

I will also say, however, that you seriously over-thought and over-built your solution. I would compare it to bringing out an air-ratchet when the bolt really only needs a crescent wrench. :D

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    That's pretty awesome, is the whole thing locked down to the bed? Maybe some styrofoam on the barrel side to keep the rifle secure on that end?

Thanks, well its a snug fit between the wheel wells so it cant slide between them, and I have a board in front of it so it cant slide forward.

I like it. But what about just getting a hard case? That's how o transport my scoped rifles.

Well I didnt want to spend the money on the hard cases and i had the lumber here at the house (and I was board today;)). Plus I just like the idea of the rifle sitting up so nothing touches the scope ( I know it probably dont make a difference, but it makes me feel better:D)

I will say that you've done a great job coming up with a solution - and - it appears that you built your contraption very well. So kudos to that. :yesway:

I will also say, however, that you seriously over-thought and over-built your solution. I would compare it to bringing out an air-ratchet when the bolt really only needs a crescent wrench. :D

Well I mean if your gonna do something, might as well go big right?....:D:laugh:

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    looks great, but I would suggest strapping that rack down (just tow straps in an x pattern through the tiedown hooks would be enough). In the event of a collision you don't want your rifles going through the air and ending up who knows where.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    looks great, but I would suggest strapping that rack down (just tow straps in an x pattern through the tiedown hooks would be enough). In the event of a collision you don't want your rifles going through the air and ending up who knows where.

Thats true, Ill have to do something like that :yesway:

MMRUSH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    I think you did a great job. I can tell you take pride in your work! I think Im gonna have to steal your idea for my car I have the same problem,I dont want my guns bumping into each other. Thanks for sharing your project!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    You just need a tonneau cover, and some giant drawer slides! Looks good!

I thought about that may have to price one

I think you did a great job. I can tell you take pride in your work! I think Im gonna have to steal your idea for my car I have the same problem,I dont want my guns bumping into each other. Thanks for sharing your project!

Thanks! feel free to shoot me a PM if you need some dimensions on it. To get ya going on it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You just need a tonneau cover, and some giant drawer slides! Looks good!

+1 buy a cover. I highly recommend agricovers. I have used them for years on my work trucks. Work great. That is a nice looking rack. When are you going to build the handgun version? :D

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'd strongly suggest you find a way to lock your weapons into your carrier as well as to the truck bed. It wouldn't take a whole lot (fender bender traffic accident) to get you occupied to the point that someone could walk off with one or more of your rifles.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I'd strongly suggest you find a way to lock your weapons into your carrier as well as to the truck bed. It wouldn't take a whole lot (fender bender traffic accident) to get you occupied to the point that someone could walk off with one or more of your rifles.

Very true, but thats why we pay for insurance.

Top Bottom