• ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    ACR_range.jpg

Took my new Bushmaster ACR to the range for the first time today to get the sights zeroed and do some function testing. Weather was overcast and cold, with no wind to speak of. Fired 272 rounds of Federal XM193 55gr ball, Black Hills 60gr soft-point, and PPU 75gr Match HP with no malfunctions of any kind.

Observations:
    • The Troy Micro flip-up sights proved a bit difficult to get dialed in; I could put together decent groups using the small aperture, but switching to the large aperture introduced a vertical POI shift of several inches, even at 50 yards. The apertures are supposed to be same-plane, so either my rear sight is out of spec, or I'm doing something different/wrong when I'm aiming through the large aperture. More testing (with someone who's more of a rifleman than me on the trigger) will be required to get the issue sorted out.

• The Primary Arms red dot in the LaRue HK mount works pretty well, but the large emitter located at approximately 4:30 partially obscures the sight picture, which proved quite distracting. The Aimpoint Micro's emitter, while located in the same position, is much smaller and does not obstruct the field of view. I have one on the way, and the PA Micro will be up for sale shortly.

• The trigger pull is heavy, but has a very positive break and reset that allows good accuracy work to be done. I did feel hampered during rapid fire, though, and trigger finger fatigue set in quickly. Basically I've become spoiled by the triggers I've got in my ARs (RRA 2-stage match, and standard trigger groups with JP spring kits), so I'll definitely be doing something to improve the ACR. A Spike's Battle Trigger set, perhaps? :cool:

• Despite having a barrel with a 1x9 twist rate, my ACR did not seem to show much difference in group size among the three loads I tested, at either 50 or 100 yards. The groups below were shot with iron sights at a distance of 50 yards. With my (bad) eyes and the stock trigger, this is about as good as I can be expected to do.
    ACR_target.jpg

Iron-sight groups at 100 yards were an embarrassment, but that's me not the gun! With the red dot mounted, the gun showed that it was capable of shooting within the dot size (4") at 100 with all loads tested.

• Recoil on the ACR feels more like my AKs than it does my ARs; "abrupt" would be a good adjective to describe it. Not uncomfortable at all, just different.

• Gun-forumites whine about the ACR's weight, but the real problem is its weight distribution. The gun is rather nose-heavy, which makes manipulations, repeated "ready-up" drills, and holding the gun on target for long periods of time more challenging. This can be addressed in two ways - "grow stronger" to quote a line from The 13th Warrior, and/or have the barrel shortened and reprofiled to remove some ounces from the front of the gun.

• The fixed stock works OK, but is not all that comfortable. The cheekweld surface is a bit boxy and hard on the face, compared to the sloping surfaces of the VLTOR and ACS, or even the CTR/MOE and standard M4 stocks. I also don't care for the uber-thick rubber recoil pad. Length of pull is right at 12.5" which is OK for shooting from the bench and running in just a T-shirt and jacket as I did today, but I worry about how it will work out when wearing gear, armor and the works. Hopefully my folding telestock will show up soon...

• The right-side selector issue was only a minor one for me; nowhere near a "deal breaker". I used Mr. Dremel to lightly round off the bottom edges on both sides (did not change the length at all), and now it feels pretty much just like an ambi selector on my AR – I know it's there, but it does not cause any discomfort.

In closing - I like how the gun shoots, the ambi controls and control layout, super-smooth action, and reliability. I don't like the unbalanced weight distribution, the heavy trigger, or the fixed stock (though it's usable for now). Jury is still out on the sights, both iron and electronic.

Once the gun is in its "final" configuration (need the Aimpoint and folding telestock) and I've had a chance to run it more extensively under more dynamic conditions, I will post an update. Might not be for awhile, though; beginning in April, I am planning to spend six months doing the lion's share of my shooting with my AK platforms, culminating with the STRIKE Tactical AK course in September.

More news as events warrant. Stay tuned!

ETA - I forgot to weigh in on the inevitable SCAR-vs.-ACR debate! Now that I have fired both, I can say with confidence that despite its shortcomings, the ACR whups the SCAR's butt handily. YMMV, of course.

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    cool review and a cooler looking rifle.

shooter, what do you think the ACR offers in terms of advantages over a regular AR15? Do you feel that the cost is justified?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    shooter, what do you think the ACR offers in terms of advantages over a regular AR15?

Its primary advantage is that it offers as standard equipment a number of features that people end up adding to their ARs at considerable expense - monolithic top rail, piston operation, and ambidextrous controls - and it does so in an integrated package, rather than a bolt-on or cobbled together "afterthought" type of arrangement.

Do you feel that the cost is justified?

I have less money invested in my ACR as pictured than many folks here (myself included) have in their ARs, so... :dunno:

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Shooter:

Fine job on the write-up and the accompanying photographs. How would you characterize the pros/cons between the mounting points on the forestock, (i.e.), traditional picatinny vs. whatever the name is for what's on the ACR?

Thanks,

Troy

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    very nice write up. Its obvious that you've found several flaws with the gun and you'd probably be better served to trade it to me for a pack of gum and dirty toothpick. I keeeed. Looking forward to more.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    also, any news on swapping calibers? I heard initially that 7.62x39 was supposed to be an option which is enticing to me. I'm sure a new ACR would look splendid on my futon.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    How would you characterize the pros/cons between the mounting points on the forestock, (i.e.), traditional picatinny vs. whatever the name is for what's on the ACR?

The standard ACR handguard has slots on the bottom and side just like the Magpul MOE handguard for the AR-15. As such, it can accommodate the MOE add-on rail sections in various locations; I have used one of these to attach the VTAC light mount to the left side. The vertical grip is Magpul's MVG, which is designed to interface directly with a MOE or ACR handguard without the need for an additional rail. While a bit less rugged than a traditional rail setup (the VG is held on by a single vertical screw rather than two horizontal ones), it results in a much cleaner (i.e. lower profile and less complicated) installation. If it proves unsatisfactory, I can always revert to a MOE rail + RVG setup.

also, any news on swapping calibers? I heard initially that 7.62x39 was supposed to be an option which is enticing to me.

Bushmaster's move to New York has thrown a pretty big wrench into the works, but last I heard, the plan was to introduce 6.8SPC conversions first, followed by 7.62x39 toward the end of the year. Unfortunately, word on the street is that the 7.62 conversion will use an AR style magazine (i.e. C-Products) rather than a new lower receiver/magwell that takes AK-47 mags. :noway: .300 AAC Blackout, the ARFcom set's current flavor-of-the-month, is also reportedly under consideration. Wake me when 5.45/AK-74 mag conversions are available, willya? ;)

These look very cool. Do these use the same mags as a m4/ar-15?

Yes.

Why would a person pick this over a M4/AR15 style rifle?

See my reply to LPMan59 above.

Last edited:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Good review, answered alot of my ?s on the ACR..... and a cool POV clip too.

Was there a specific reason you chose the fixed stock over the folding? Personal preference, cost or availibilty?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Observations:
    • Despite having a barrel with a 1x9 twist rate, my ACR did not seem to show much difference in group size among the three loads I tested, at either 50 or 100 yards. The groups below were shot with iron sights at a distance of 50 yards. With my (bad) eyes and the stock trigger, this is about as good as I can be expected to do.

It'd be interesting to try some 77 gr loads and see if they still stabilize (just to know where your upper limit might be with that particular barrel).

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    It'd be interesting to try some 77 gr loads and see if they still stabilize (just to know where your upper limit might be with that particular barrel).

Since the 75s stabilized, I'd bet 77s would as well. I may get some to try out, but the VAST majority of what I shoot is 55-62gr.

Was there a specific reason you chose the fixed stock over the folding? Personal preference, cost or availibilty?

Cost and availability. My distributor had the basic black ACR at a ridiculously low price, so I jumped. Ended up being cheaper to do that and order the folding telestock from BM than to buy the Basic Folder version to start with.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom